Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Twilight.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
damienblack  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rckr, what I have against it is that it is sending the message to the most impressionable age group of people that unconditionally devoting yourself to someone who wants to kill you and treats you like a piece of personal property is romantic. Someone on another board (SA) summarized it best:

Quote:
Your daughter is reading a series of books where the protagonist marries right out of high school, becomes a teenage mother in record time, and the love triangle between her, the vampire, and the werewolf is solved by having the werewolf fall in love against his will with her infant daughter. And this is portrayed as a desirable outcome.

And if you say "well, it's just a story, teens know the difference between this in reality", I challenge you to read the fansites and interviews out there. Check out some of these descriptions of fans from the NY Times:

Quote:
Alena Marsh, 19, from Lancaster, Pa., managed to show Mr. Pattinson a tattoo above her ear of a small apple and the word “lamb,” which is Edward’s nickname for Bella. Afterward she leaned on a kiosk outside the store, tears streaming down her face as other fans rushed to her. “He was this close,” she said as they squealed. “Close enough to bite my neck.”

Quote:

“Do you guys care about the questions, or do you just want to talk about nothing?” Mr. Pattinson asked.

A young woman in a shirt emblazoned with the Cullen family crest spoke for many: “We just want to look at you.”

To me, this goes way beyond Harry Potter dorks playing dress-up. It's frightening.

Although, I have to say that if the DVD comes with a commentary track with the dude that plays the vampire, i WILL buy it. He had no idea what he was getting into when he signed on, and now he pretty much hates the source material. Observe, in this interview.

The highlights:

Quote:
"I was convinced... that Stephenie was convinced... that she was Bella... and it was like a book that wasn't supposed to be published. And you're reading like, her sort of sexual fantasy."

Quote:
"I was like, 'This woman is mad. She's completely mad, and she's in love with her own fictional creation.' And sometimes you'd like feel uncomfortable reading this thing."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damienblack wrote:

Quote:
"I was convinced... that Stephenie was convinced... that she was Bella... and it was like a book that wasn't supposed to be published. And you're reading like, her sort of sexual fantasy."

that literally made me lol

a funny video of me choking on Monkey Wrench will go here once i get my GH2 log
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: Shotgunmerc
SDoner8790  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, watching that video of the interview made me feel good about Pattinson.

But this whole Twilight thing came out of nowhere it seems. Just all of a sudden girls started drooling over this. Edward is the PERFECT boyfriend and stuff like that. It does get annoying after a while. But I don't really care overall.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDoner8790 wrote:
Actually, watching that video of the interview made me feel good about Pattinson.

But this whole Twilight thing came out of nowhere it seems. Just all of a sudden girls started drooling over this. Edward is the PERFECT boyfriend and stuff like that. It does get annoying after a while. But I don't really care overall.

sure! he's only blood thirsty, albino, has the vampire mafia on his back, but other than that he's awesome. im sure the fangs really help his french kissing ability

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: Shotgunmerc
kaflagemeir  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shotgunmerc wrote:
SDoner8790 wrote:

sure! he's only blood thirsty, albino, has the vampire mafia on his back, but other than that he's awesome. im sure the fangs really help his french kissing ability

He drinks animal blood as a "vegan diet", he's not albino, the so-called "vampire mafia" is only there is you screw up, and he doesn't have fangs.
Shotgunmerc  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaflagemeir wrote:
Shotgunmerc wrote:
SDoner8790 wrote:

He drinks animal blood as a "vegan diet", he's not albino, the so-called "vampire mafia" is only there is you screw up, and he doesn't have fangs.

this shows you how much of the book i've actually read

Twang  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shotgunmerc wrote:
kaflagemeir wrote:
Shotgunmerc wrote:
SDoner8790 wrote:

Also shows how much it makes sense. A vegan vampire would have to drink the blood of apples and soy milk.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: teamkillin629
Shotgunmerc  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twang wrote:
Shotgunmerc wrote:

Also shows how much it makes sense. A vegan vampire would have to drink the blood of apples and soy milk.

this shows you how much i pay attention to some posts

killzonedout  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shotgunmerc wrote:
Twang wrote:
Shotgunmerc wrote:

this shows you how much i pay attention to some posts

This shows you how much attention I use to make attention for note-worthy posts.

Anyway, the story goes:
-Vampire wants to dex a chick
-chick is all for it
-prepubscent girls are like "OMG SEX IS SO COOL"
-Movie
-?
-PROFIT.
SynysterGates  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to just say a few things here since I have actually read the book. Whoever said that the book is well written clearly needs to read it again. The book actually(I'm not even exaggerating) has no plot. No plot. The first attempt at a plot comes right at the very end of the book, when a group of vampires, who you've never heard of before, just show up. I honestly couldn't believe that was the plot. Nothing in the entire book prepares you for this totally random occurence. Then they fight a bit, someone dies and the book ends.

Now the book aside, the real problem with this Twilight phenomenon, is that all you young dudes are screwed. See in the book, Edward Cullen is described over and over again as "perfect". He's not just amazing or wonderful, he's perfect. Now all the girls are in love with him and want someone perfect for themselves. And well I'm not perfect, all you guys aren't perfect, so we'll never be good enough for these girls. You're being compared to standard that is impossible to reach. I've actually heard a girl say this about a guy, "He's nice and I like him and everything, but he's no Edward Cullen". I guess what pisses me off the most is that, all these girls aren't even close to being perfect themselves, but if you aren't perfect, then you aren't good enough for them. Sorry if all this seems really overdramatic, but I'm 21 and this is actually a real problem for me, even at this age.

tl;dr: Twilight has no plot, Edward Cullen has screwed us all.
- Fear Before The March Of Flames
SDoner8790  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SynysterGates wrote:

Now the book aside, the real problem with this Twilight phenomenon, is that all you young dudes are screwed. See in the book, Edward Cullen is described over and over again as "perfect". He's not just amazing or wonderful, he's perfect. Now all the girls are in love with him and want someone perfect for themselves. And well I'm not perfect, all you guys aren't perfect, so we'll never be good enough for these girls. You're being compared to standard that is impossible to reach. I've actually heard a girl say this about a guy, "He's nice and I like him and everything, but he's no Edward Cullen". I guess what pisses me off the most is that, all these girls aren't even close to being perfect themselves, but if you aren't perfect, then you aren't good enough for them. Sorry if all this seems really overdramatic, but I'm 21 and this is actually a real problem for me, even at this age.

That's horrible that a girl would say that about a guy. I really hope this fad dies down. Frankly it's not doing anybody any good in my eyes. I haven't read the book or anything, but I can tell you I wouldn't enjoy it.

Meh, but let girls go crazy over this garbage. It's like a fantasy of theirs. But they want it to be a reality, which is not a good thing.....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told my friends at school the story of how Edward Cullen came to be a vampire:

Disguised as a student, he took place in the Triwizard Tournament, only to be brutally murdered; but his heart still had a small beat to it.
It was this reason that he was saved and turned into the vampire that he is today, and then he moved to Forks, Washington.
Shotgunmerc  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDoner8790 wrote:
SynysterGates wrote:

That's horrible that a girl would say that about a guy. I really hope this fad dies down. Frankly it's not doing anybody any good in my eyes. I haven't read the book or anything, but I can tell you I wouldn't enjoy it.

Meh, but let girls go crazy over this garbage. It's like a fantasy of theirs. But they want it to be a reality, which is not a good thing.....

they say nice guys finish last

MisterMcLov1n  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that South Park will be picking on Twilight on tonight's episode. They handled the High School Musical thing very humorously and I'm looking forward to this.
Shotgunmerc  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MisterMcLov1n wrote:
It seems that South Park will be picking on Twilight on tonight's episode. They handled the High School Musical thing very humorously and I'm looking forward to this.

oh god i cant wait

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: