ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Metal Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 99, 100, 101  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KrakenEater  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tornintwo wrote:
*List of awesome bands and songs*

Just saw this now, I'm working through the list now. All I have to say is, wow. Excellent selections, and thanks for putting so much work into this!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KrakenEater wrote:
tornintwo wrote:
*List of awesome bands and songs*

Just saw this now, I'm working through the list now. All I have to say is, wow. Excellent selections, and thanks for putting so much work into this!

Thanks, always nice to be recognized. It wasn't too much trouble for me, I just got a little tired of looking up the bands best songs, then youtubing them. Some didn't have any videos (like Hourglass) but simple google searches will get you info on most of them, and their website usually have song clips up.

I went to the record store today and found a heavy metal christmas CD. It's called 'We Wish You A Metal X-mas And A Headbanging New Year'. Now I don't usually pick up compilation albums like this, but it sounded too good to pass up. It doesn't have any christmas songs from metal bands, but metal covers of traditional christmas songs like Silver Bells, Little Drummer Boy, Santa Claus Is Coming to town. And the best part: it features actual established metal musicians boasting a line-up of Lemmy, Dio, Alice Cooper, Tony Iommi, Geoff Tate, Chuck Billy, Scott Ian, Ripper Owens, James Lomenzo and rock legends such as John 5, Billy Sheehan, Bruce Kulick (Grand Funk), Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top), Dave Grohl, and George Lynch. I haven't listened to the record yet but I will post my thoughts on it tomorrow when I do.

Warnar wrote:
The elitists attack! Everybody run away!
82erkle  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, that christmas album sounds EPIC!

/me wants to know your thoughts on it .

Rock Band Accomplishment Thread
Proud owner of over 2,500+ expert Rock Band FC's.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: erkle82
turbo  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

82erkle wrote:
Yes, i was kidding about slipknot, although Psychosocial's good.

Bands like Disturbed... are epic!

I believe this is the "Metal Discussion." Please get out of here with your pop hardly hard rock :P

What's the word on Hibria's new album?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKQstdpRstY
There is a perfect example of PURE METAL. Be careful, dangerous for viewers not metal enough to handle it.

PS. Will do doommomomomdodomdom...
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: smelLOL Wii Friend Code: 468266909114
tornintwo  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, so I gave a listen to the heavy metal x-mas CD I mentioned earlier. It was decent heavy metal, but pretty standard. The only deviation from the traditional early 80s metal sound was the song with Lemmy and the song with Chuck Billy. The Lemmy song also had Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top on guitar and Dave Grohl on drums. It sounded like a Motorhead song, which isn't a bad thing, but I was expecting something more bluesy. The Chuck Billy song was Silent Night and sounds like Testament circa Demonic and features some heavy riffing by Scott Ian. The standout song for me was Santa Claws Is Coming To Town which has a great guitar solo from John 5, something the other songs were lacking. The other standouts were Grandma Got Ran Over By A Reindeer and Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree. Overall I wasn't very impressed by the overall generic heavy metal sound, but it wasn't bad, just basically heavy metal with christmas lyrics. You're better off with this if you want to have a heavy metal christmas.

PS: Billy Sheehan played bass on 3 tracks but that didn't matter because you couldn't hear any bass at all.

EDIT: According to Hibria's website, the album will be released in Japan on December 10th and sometime in February to the rest of the world.

Warnar wrote:
Whitt333  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best metal band of all time is Metallica. Hell, it even has metal in the name

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whitt333 wrote:
Best metal band of all time is Metallica. Hell, it even has metal in the name

If this isn't sarcasm then you've got a lot of catching up to do.

So I heard today that Circuit City is closing down. Of course, they've got CDs at 20% off. Not the best selection, but decent. Everytime I've gone in there in the past I always flipped past this Nile digipack CD. I heard a Nile song a while back before I was into Cancer, Cannibal Corpse and the like and wasn't really into it. However, I winged it and picked up Nile's Legacy Of The Catacombs.

Nile fucking rules.

At first I thought variety wasn't going to be abundant on this particular Nile compilation. The faster songs kind of blended together with the tracks Lashed To The Slave Stick and Sarcophagus standing out. Then I heard the slower songs and THIS is where Nile shines. Unas Slayer Of The Gods was just powerful. By the time I got back home I didn't even realize it was 10+ minutes long. I'm going to enjoy picking up the rest of their material.

I also ran into Helloween's The Best, The Rest, The Rare the other day at my used CD store. It's got a version of Victim Of Fate with Michael Kiske on vocals... fucking excellent. Now all I need to find is Kiske singing Heavy Metal (Is The Law) and I can die happy.

Frozen is Death, but I cannot die.

Delorean Progress: Still Searching
black-santa  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Unas Slayer of the Gods is up there with my favorite Nile songs, I'd also say Annihilation of the Wicked and What May Safely Be Written are up there too. Nile were my first death metal band, after I heard that intro to Annihilation of the Wicked, I was just like.....Fuck dude I have to buy/download their songs.
turbo  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D0m0omod wrote:
Nile fucking rules.

Yea, thanks to Nile, I have a saw blade on my drum set.

PS: D0m0omod -
Pick up the Legion of the Damned album - Sons of the Jackal. I'm seriously convinced that it could be the greatest thrash metal album of all time.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: smelLOL Wii Friend Code: 468266909114
D0m0omod  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turbo wrote:
D0m0omod wrote:
Nile fucking rules.

Yea, thanks to Nile, I have a saw blade on my drum set.

PS: D0m0omod -
Pick up the Legion of the Damned album - Sons of the Jackal. I'm seriously convinced that it could be the greatest thrash metal album of all time.

That's funny, SotJ has the lowest rating for LotD on Metal-Archives. I never take what those "reviews" say seriously though and I already plan on picking up their albums. Thanks though.

Frozen is Death, but I cannot die.

Delorean Progress: Still Searching
guitarroker  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your top 10 favorite Thrash Metal albums everyone? My personal favorites are:

Slayer - Reign in Blood
Anthrax - Among the Living
Exodus - Bonded by Blood
Kreator - Pleasure to Kill
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Destruction - Infernal Overkill
Coroner - Mental Vortex
Sodom - Agent Orange
Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare
Sepultura - Schizophrenia (sorta thrashy; My favorite Sepultura album is Morbid Visions though)

In no order.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger Wii Friend Code: 146157709520
turbo  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good list.

Overkill - Killbox 13
Legion of the Damned - Sons of the Jackal
Warbringer - Total War
Municipal Waste - The Art of Partying
Kreator - Enemy of God
Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare
Slayer - Reign in Blood
Exodus - Tempo of the Damned
Anthrax - Among the Living
Testament - The Legacy
thisismyname0  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does everyone think that Reign in blood is the best Slayer album? I think everyone likes it because guitar hero got them into "Raining Blood" as it says in guitar hero. Damn it Activision get it right.

Back to the point my favorite Slayer album is definitely Seasons in the Abyss.
damienblack  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thisismyname0 wrote:
Why does everyone think that Reign in blood is the best Slayer album? I think everyone likes it because guitar hero got them into "Raining Blood" as it says in guitar hero. Damn it Activision get it right.

? Unless I'm missing something here, the song is Raining Blood while the album is Reign In Blood... they are two different things.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thisismyname0 wrote:

Really, I don't think Reign In Blood is the best Slayer album. The 3 previous releases Show No Mercy, Haunting The Chapel EP (especially this one), and Hell Awaits are all better thrash albums than Reign In Blood. And then people talk about how its so influential and helped develop death metal, but I feel Hell Awaits and Haunting The Chapel give off the evil, creepy death metal vibe much better. It sounds a lot closer to what Death and Possessed were doing on their first albums than Reign In Blood, although that's not to totally deny its impact. It did have a direct influence on LATER death metal. Possessed's Seven Churches came out the year before RiB and sounds very, very similar to Scream Bloody Gore. Leprosy I think borrows more from the Darkness Descends/RiB/Pleasure To Kill albums in sound and intensity.

Warnar wrote:
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 99, 100, 101  Next
Page 54 of 101

Jump to: