Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Any interest in SH Mafia? [SHM Reboot?]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
InflatablePie  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Any interest in SH Mafia? [SHM Reboot?] Reply with quote

(This topic has been necro'd as of 6/3/11. Please read the most recent post here, or scroll down.)

Original Post:
[Edit] SH Mafia topic is here.

I wanted to make a topic like this the other week, but I had no internet until recently. Since the other one was locked "under grounds of using people without their permission, in addition to making no sense", I hope I'm not in the wrong by recreating the topic with discussion-enducing information. If the mods still don't think this game should be allowed, feel free to lock.

So after seeing the attempted "ScoreHero Mafia" topic and that some people were willing to play, I figured I'd ask you guys: have you ever played a game of Mafia? This includes:

- Real-life Mafia
- Forum-based Mafia
- Facebook-based Mafia (not sure what Mafia Wars IS exactly, btw)
- AIM/IRC Mafia
- Web Browser Mafia (includes EpicMafia and the like)

Since the last topic didn't quite explain: for those of you that don't know what Mafia is, it's a party game where you have a bunch of people. Some of them are "Mafia/Scum" and some are "Town". The Mafia know each other, but the Town only know themselves.

During the "Day" phase of the game, the Town can decide to "lynch" a player if they want. After a certain amount of time (48 hours usually), or votes (50%+1 at any time or most at end of "Day"), "Day" ends and a player is lynched, their role revealed.

The game moves to "Night", where the Mafia are allowed to talk to each other out of view of the other players. They discuss who to kill and send their choice to the Game Moderator via PM. Once the actions go through, Day starts again. Any killed players are revealed with role, and the game cycles. Game stops when Mafia/Town ratio is 50/50, usually, or when all Mafia are dead.

Furthermore, there are certain roles that have special abilities. Cops can investigate one player each night and find out information about them (usually if they are Scum or Town). Doctors can protect one player at night, except themselves, from dying. Meanwhile, there are other roles like Town Miller - he is told he is a Town Vanilla (no powers), and is, but shows up as Scum if a cop investigates him. The Scum Godfather, like the Miller, doesn't show up as Scum in a cop report. There are also other roles, including killing, investigating, protecting, and more.

For more reading:

MafiaScum Wiki's Newbie Guide

Flash Introduction To Mafia
Various Mafia Roles

And as an example game:
GameFAQs' CE's Simpsons Mafia

I would be REALLY interested in starting and hosting a forum-based Mafia game here on SH, if the mods would allow it. It's a forum game that allows for discussion (and depends on it), so I don't see why it wouldn't be allowed. In fact, I have a great idea for theme and flavor text already. It would be GH-themed, probably, so I'm not sure if it would be better for Misc, but the flavor is only there to make it more interesting anyway. I can also just go with random generic flavor.

Anyway, I would like to hear your opinions on running a Mafia game (whether or where it should be allowed, if anyone would be interested in playing, etc.). And if anyone else has played before, especially forum-based, I'd like to know. In addition, if one person wants to help cohost, since I'm not too experienced.

Feel free to ask any questions.

P.S. - There is no actual ScoreHero Mafia. There is no gun to my head forcing me to say this.[/size]
PiemanLK wrote:
Eastwinn wrote:
Right, but if you had the chocolate bar in your heart all along, no one would need to work. Did consider that?

If you have a chocolate bar in your heart I suggest seeking medical attention.

Last edited by InflatablePie on Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:10 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: UmbraPie Wii Friend Code: 0518680564637417
Devil666555SH  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mafia wars is so addicting -.-
MetalheadNorm  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play mafia on a different forum that I go to. If the host is involved and well-organized, then the game is quite fun. Unfortunately, amateur hosts or hosts that cannot keep the gameplay rolling can really kill the game.

I like to see mafia games with special themes and special roles.
032 x 12" Vinyl
001 x 10" Vinyl
008 x 7" Vinyl
003 x Hooded Sweatshirt
016 x T-shirt
011 x Patch
028 x Band Pin
InflatablePie  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetalheadNorm wrote:
I play mafia on a different forum that I go to. If the host is involved and well-organized, then the game is quite fun. Unfortunately, amateur hosts or hosts that cannot keep the gameplay rolling can really kill the game.

I like to see mafia games with special themes and special roles.

Yeah, I'm not that experienced of a host (not a bad player, I don't think), but I have confidence that I would be able to pull it off. And if someone else is willing to step up as host, I'm willing to let them do it over me. Hell, I'd probably be best suited for simply donating flavor text to be honest. That seems like the most fun part of hosting, in my opinion.

But it also depends on the players and activity. I noticed that if the players aren't active, the game dies quickly as well.
PiemanLK wrote:
Eastwinn wrote:
Right, but if you had the chocolate bar in your heart all along, no one would need to work. Did consider that?

View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: UmbraPie Wii Friend Code: 0518680564637417
WhYYZ  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll join. I've organized and played a lot of mafia/werewolf games. And I love playing it.

However, a similar idea was locked.

http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=99850&start=0

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhYYZ wrote:
I'll join. I've organized and played a lot of mafia/werewolf games. And I love playing it.

However, a similar idea was locked.

http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=99850&start=0

InflatablePie wrote:
Since the other one was locked "under grounds of using people without their permission, in addition to making no sense", I hope I'm not in the wrong by recreating the topic with discussion-enducing information. If the mods still don't think this game should be allowed, feel free to lock.

Since not many people knew what was going on (not to mention the unbalanced randomness of the PRs), I was hoping to get actual discussion about it.
PiemanLK wrote:
Eastwinn wrote:

HellAshes  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this one definitely looks like it could be better run, and thanks for posting tutorials so I know how to play. :P

Guitar Hero: Live Goals:
Actually get good at Guitar Hero: Live
10 Guitar Hero: Live Setlist FCs

ShadoWolf wrote:
Fuck you HellAsses you fucking fucker

mazegeek999PSN from my accomplishments thread wrote:
koloxid wrote:
holy fuk
do you ever stop

Well, he hasn't posted in a month.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: HellAshes PSN Name: HellAshes
Josseppe95  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...this looks pretty neat. If you can get it going, count me in.
ace5993  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can host if you want. I've played a bunch of IRL games but never a forum game, so it'll be pretty interesting for me. Also we should have something in place like winner of the first game becomes moderator of the next one. Because I'm pretty sure there'll be more than one round if this gets going
InflatablePie  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ace5993 wrote:
I can host if you want. I've played a bunch of IRL games but never a forum game, so it'll be pretty interesting for me. Also we should have something in place like winner of the first game becomes moderator of the next one. Because I'm pretty sure there'll be more than one round if this gets going :D

Awesome.

Well, looks like there's 5 players so far. I'd like about 10 more, personally, but if there's not much interest in a few days, we can play a quickie game. If you'd rather host, that'd be fine with me, ace. And yes, I think we should rotate GameMods.

My proposed rules. See the first post. I'd hate to take the rules from another host, but those seem pretty standard to me for the most part.

I'd also rather have Day Start than Night Start, although I think a lot of games start at Night.
PiemanLK wrote:
Eastwinn wrote:

ace5993  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

InflatablePie wrote:
ace5993 wrote:
I can host if you want. I've played a bunch of IRL games but never a forum game, so it'll be pretty interesting for me. Also we should have something in place like winner of the first game becomes moderator of the next one. Because I'm pretty sure there'll be more than one round if this gets going

Awesome.

Well, looks like there's 5 players so far. I'd like about 10 more, personally, but if there's not much interest in a few days, we can play a quickie game. If you'd rather host, that'd be fine with me, ace. And yes, I think we should rotate GameMods.

My proposed rules. See the first post. I'd hate to take the rules from another host, but those seem pretty standard to me for the most part.

I'd also rather have Day Start than Night Start, although I think a lot of games start at Night.

I agree with the Day Start, it always brings more confusion into the beginning game Those rules are fine, I'll explain all the various roles in the new thread (I should make a new thread I assume right)? Again, I'd like more players as well, but I guess we can start with as few as 7, although that wouldn't be the most exciting game I am not creative at all, so if you want to create a scenario other than the typical small town in Italy type thing, be my guest
InflatablePie  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have some flavor text ideas. Before there's a new topic, though, I'd like to see some more interest.

[E] <_<
PiemanLK wrote:
Eastwinn wrote:

EpicPwnager  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds sick - Im in. Hope the mods allow it - I mean, they have no reason to not allow it.
InflatablePie  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a long time. How have you been?

Anyways, most of you are probably wondering why I'm bumping this topic. I'll just say it here: I'd like to run one last SH Mafia game.

Let's go back a bit now. *Wayne's World-styled flashback effects*

-----

Everyone remembers ScoreHero Mafia 1 (aka "Guitar Hero Mafia"), right? If not, click the link in the first post. Even if you didn't play in it, it was kind of hard to ignore such a large topic in GC. All the players, myself included, were fairly inexperienced, and the game lasted a very long time - it got down to a mere three players, the only SHM game to do so I believe. Very enjoyable for everyone and it wasn't overly complex.

A little while later, SHM2 was created. And it bombed. There's still the running joke of it not existing - between myself affecting the setup to the point where it was just plain unbalanced and another moderator trying to fix it mid-game (bastard modding, good intents or not), the game was frozen. Luckily, myself and another of the SHM2 mods quickly picked out three mods to run SHM2's replacement - SHM2.5 - and that game was a lot simpler and more enjoyable.

That's when we blew right through SHM3, SHMWT, SHM Newbie Game (I forget the official name for this), and SHM5. Like GH, it began to become stale. Replacements became hard to find, players were losing interest, etc.. The games weren't spread out too far from what I recall, so it was a lot of over-saturation.

And then we hit SHM6. Between the number of players required, lack of replacements, lack of interest, and the moderator's choice for unorthodox rules, this became the first game in SHM history to have a second topic made due to player revolt, and eventually abandoned.

-----

And now here we stand. There were talks of a seventh (technically, ninth) game, but it doesn't look like that's happening, as it's been just over two months since SHM6 was abandoned. Which I understand due to the lack of interest coupled with constant playing with the same people, but it still makes me sad. I mean, I was the one that made the first mafia topic on here - this one, in fact (that other guy with the SH Users Werewolf Game doesn't count <_<). If it wasn't for the SHMs, I probably wouldn't be playing mafia nowadays. It's still a different playstyle than other sites, which is what makes it fun. I've been part of this community in general for a while now, but this is one of the most fun things I've ever been a part of.

That's why I'm not gonna let SHM roll over and die. At least, not without an effort to salvage it. I propose one final game. If interest is renewed, we'll continue the line of games (as long as it's okay with the staff). If not, this'll be SHM's "swan song" of sorts. Think of it like GH:WoR; I wanna go back to SHM's roots. Something simple and newbie friendly, while still being able to hold the interest of the veteran players.

I propose a 13-player "mini" game known as White Flag Mountainous.

- 10 Townies, 3 Mafia.
- No power roles for either faction - everyone is a Vanilla/Goon.
- If there is only one scum player left alive, town wins. In other words, the town only need to lynch two out of three mafia to win.

No power roles to make the game confusing. No fakeclaims. Just pure scumhunting. Any new players won't have trouble picking this up, while veteran players can see why it'd still pose a challenge. The much smaller size of this game as opposed to the 20-ish player SHMs of the past should allow us to utilize replacements better, as well as cut down on post-spam and improving in-game content. Not to mention - it's summer! People should have a lot more free time on their hands (I hope), so this should helps things as well.

As for when the game starts, I'm also going against the grain by starting signups now rather than a specific scheduled time. If there's not even thirteen of you willing to play what may be one last game here, I'm not going to bother starting another topic. Signups will take place in this thread for that reason as well. To join this game, simply say "/in" somewhere in your post.

If this can revive SHM, that's great. If not, as the person to introduce most of you to Mafia, I want to be the person who lets things end on a high note. Worst-case scenario, we can let this thread become Mafia General; I'd still like to debate Mafia Theory with some of you without having to do so on mafiascum's discussion forum (they can be kind of elitist).

So what do you say, ScoreHero? Are you /in?

[Edit] And I realize I've taken things into my own hands without asking some certain vets (everyone knows who they are), or even the semi-experienced players, if they'd be alright with me modding the next (final?) SHM, but it seems that no one's interested anymore. Plus, I promise I won't screw it up. It is an Open Setup, after all.
PiemanLK wrote:
Eastwinn wrote:

ShadoWolf  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I'm never active enough/bad at scumhunting, so I'll only sign up if you NEED players. I hope this runs, SHM was fun
Look, someone actually had to point out that singing "solo" meant singing alone. This is why we allow people to work registers at McDonald's that can't make change and it makes me want to run my face under a belt sander. For the love of tits, how can you be on the internet in 2012 and not think "maybe I can Google this word I should have learned in first grade before making a thread about it".
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: ShadoWolf2971
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: