ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
SHMA: Scorehero Music Awards! Best of the Decade!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
polishedbullet  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only one for me:

Best Metal Act:
The Blackening - Machine Head

RIP Piper. I love you. 3/26/10
ganondorf901  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecaptainof wrote:
Yeah, chill out. I did read it. It doesn't say anywhere about it not being closed off.

If it won I would probablly put in bold right next to it or at least notify that it won. It was put there the same way every other one was. Sure It was in bold at first which I was going to do to every nominie until my next edit were I decided to make them plain instead.
Quote:
It also doesn't say anything about getting put in there after three nominations, so how the fuck are we supposed to know that?

Ya I didnt say it, It was a personal counter I was using. But I did clarify that it would have to be nominated sveral times before, and no matter what number it was, that means I wasnt just going to throw it in because I wanted.

Quote:
I've taken a screenshot so don't bother editing it in and trying to pretend it was there all along.

You sure are taking great measures to make sure Im wrong and make yourself some type of victor. I clarified that if enough people supported the idea, it would be nominated. Actually I was thinking of making it higher then 3 at first.

Quote:
And yes, it looked like you just threw it in there because you wanted it:

You wrote:
And I'm just gonna go ahead and put buckethead in because, well.....

Ya Ill give you that, but simply reading the other few posts before would have shown that other have previously nominated it.

Quote:
So yeah, take your sarcasm and use it on someone who deserves it.

Then please, dont make such a remark next time, and sorry for assuming you didnt read the rest of the thread. Guess those 2 (I think there were several more after) posts just slipped your sight. I dont know how you ment it, but it looked like you were calling me an idiot. Im not tryin to start a flame war, so Im finished.

And in for best metal album is The Blackening - Machine Head.
dabears116  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't three a little too low? And why not go by which ever has the most votes? It is not unlikely that other bands/albums may receive more votes than ones already declared as winner.

...I have no idea why I'm even caring to be honest...

ganondorf901 wrote:
And in for best metal album is The Blackening - Machine Head.

Some guy at my old school once wore a merzbow shirt to class so we all threw stones at him and kicked him in the head until he died lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: DaBears116
ganondorf901  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dabears116 wrote:
Isn't three a little too low? And why not go by which ever has the most votes? It is not unlikely that other bands/albums may receive more votes than ones already declared as winner.

3 is for nomination, not winning. There will be a vote after all slots have been nominated. Did I really amek it that unclear . I did 3 because barely any1 was supporting other nominations.
machchunk  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you classing Gorillaz as? I want to support this
tornintwo wrote:

Best Alternative album:
Gorillaz - Demon Days

but I nominated Gorillaz as best dance act, and I don't want to split us fans into multiple categories. If you say they're alternative, I'll reclass my nom for Gorillaz to Best Alternative Act.

I also second these:
tornintwo wrote:
Best rap/hip-hop album:
Outkast - Speakerboxxx/The Love Below

Best male artist:
Devin Townsend

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: machchunk
NovaXD  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH MY GOD Best moment in music: LIVE 8 MOTHERFUCKER -- HOLY SHIT this was big, ten concerts held around the world (almost all simultaneously) from Philadelphia to Tokyo and everywhere in between, 2 July 2005, over 1000 artist performing in total, and all in an effort to eradicate poverty and encourage the G8 to make such decisions in their conference. Almost 20 years exactly after Live Aid too. If not the best moment, certainly the biggest, no?

linky

Also,

Best Punk Act: Social Distortion - more of a stretch, but still. They only released to albums but they were both very good pieces of work. Not to mention, they've been going at it for over 30 years, touring and all, they even just did a huge show with Pearl Jam in Philadelphia back in late October 2009. And I've never seen or heard any bad performances by them, especially in the 2000s.
Adsee  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best Alternative Album: Gorillaz - Demon Days

Best Rock Album: Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium

Best Progressive Rock/Metal Artist - Dream Theater (Yeah, overdone, but whatever, I enjoy them.)

Saddest moment in music: George Harrison's Death

Will Update Later.
3starmaster  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best rap/hip-hop act: Clipse

Best rap/hip-hop album: Clipse- Lord Willin'

Clipse is the onyl rap I listen to any more. Solid duo from Virginia popularized coke rap. They are awesome.

Best Dance album: Justice-†

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NavyCherub wrote:
Best pop act: Lady Gaga - I don't care what you think of her on first sight, you need to listen to all of The Fame Monster before you judge. Though I do doubt that Scorehero will agree with me, I also doubt Scorehero knows any pop or have even listened to the album.

Best pop album: Lady Gaga - The Fame Monster - See above. Pop perfection, pretty much.

I got your back man. Lady Gaga is like "musical herpes" as bsparks would love to say. I'll admit I love it to pieces and would make the same Pop choices as you.

As far as this thread, I will work on my thoughts later, but I feel like this will become way too big to handle. I think there is a more organized way to do this... such as, set up something on SurveyMonkey, or narrow down the list of artists and bands that people can choose from (since right now its a popularity contest, so considering really unknown bands/artists doesn't make too much sense). 'Cause right now it just feels like "everyone lists their favorite things," and we already have that thread, ya know? Just a thought, definitely a neat thread idea. Once you have winners I could always make some silly graphics for the lulz. :p

Edit:

Disclaimer: These choices tried to be as definitive of the '00s as possible and may not necessarily be my FAVORITE artists or bands.

My Choices

Best Metal act: Avenged Sevenfold
Best Rock act: Shinedown
Best Alternative act: Muse
Best Punk act: Green Day
Best progressive rock/metal act: Dream Theater (This is the only prog band I can stand. You can't hate too much, these guys have undeniably brilliant compositional skills regardless of if you like their music)
Best Alternative album: Black Holes and Revelations - Muse
Best Metal album: Avenged Sevenfold - Avenged Sevenfold
Best Rock album: The Sound of Madness - Shinedown
Best Punk album: 21st Century Breakdown - Green Day (The only album I've heard from them, and I liked it a lot)
Best Progressive Rock/Metal album: Black Clouds and Silver Linings - Dream Theater
Best rap/hip-hop act: Gorillaz (I think of them as more hip-hop, but feel free to move my genre placement)
Best rap/hip-hop album: Demon Days - Gorillaz
Best pop act: Lady Gaga
Best pop album: The Fame Monster - Lady Gaga
Best country act: Rascall Flats
Best Comeback: Metallica
Best male artist: Josh Groban (Understandably this isn't everyone's cup of tea, but this guy can SING)
Best female artist: Lady Gaga
Best solo act: Lady Gaga (I don't really like many solo artists, so Lady Gaga is probably going to pop up a few more times :P)
Best indie artist: Silversun Pickups (inb4 "Bawww ScoreHeroist")
Best debut: Lady Gaga
Most influential artist: Green Day
Saddest moment in music: Death of Michael Jackson
Album of the 00’s: Black Holes and Revelations - Muse
Band of the 00’s: Muse (for some reason Muse's style of music just seems definitive 00's. I'm sorry if that seems "ScoreHeroist" but it's how I feel. No I don't think Muse is the best thing since sliced bread )
Artist of the 00’s: Lady Gaga

I couldn't pick a single best song.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
sean2490  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best Metal act: Wintersun: One of the most refreshing bands so far this decade, has almost the perfect balance between style and substance. Their self titled debut is one of the most polished pieces of metal I've ever listened to, expecting much more from these guys!

Best solo act: Guthrie Govan: Made his debut in '06 with Erotic Cakes, essentially a heavier take on jazz-fusion.

Saddest moment in music: The Death of Quorthon (of Bathory): Terrible, unexpected news. Now we'll never finish Nordland =/

Album of the 00’s: The Way Up - Pat Metheny Group: An epic hour long contemporary jazz piece. As allmusic puts it: "Comprised of a single, sprawling, 68-minute composition by Metheny and Lyle Mays -- divided into four sections on CD -- it is an unprecedented new direction for the band." An amazing change of direction for PMG. I can't add much to this, just listen to the damn thing!

Here are some picks for now. I may edit some more in later.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I don't get is why Hard Rock is considered metal for this, couldn't we just scale it down into Rock? I feel like voting Avenged Sevenfold for best metal act, but I truly think of them as a rock act. Just my opinion, of course.
Vampire-Jekyll  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Best One Hit Wonder: Never Gonna Give You Up - Rick Astley Let's face it, the song is far more popular now than it was when it debuted.

For best song of the 00's: Hey Ya - OutkastLove it, hate it, meh it; most everyone is familiar with this song. It's catchy, simple, and stands out. It was hugely popular and to some extent still is. The artist behind the song is also one of the most original and influential of this decade as well. There's just something about this song that screams '2000's.'
Season 9 Standard Controller Champion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: FourItchyTasty
machchunk  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vampire-Jekyll wrote:
For Best One Hit Wonder: Never Gonna Give You Up - Rick Astley Let's face it, the song is far more popular now than it was when it debuted.

That was released 2 decades ago. And you can't really say Rickrolling is more popular than the song was itself back then. The song reached #1 in multiple countries and on multiple formats, and was the best-selling single in the UK in 1987.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: machchunk
Fugitive  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean2490 wrote:
Best Metal act: Wintersun: One of the most refreshing bands so far this decade, has almost the perfect balance between style and substance. Their self titled debut is one of the most polished pieces of metal I've ever listened to, expecting much more from these guys!

You're now my favorite Scorehero-er to grace this thread. Never thought any of my nominations would get seconded. (You should second their album as best metal album )
sean2490  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more picks from me:

Best rock act: Racer X: Okay, I understand that this isn't a rock band, but, listening to their two albums from this decade makes me think otherwise. (listen to "Heaven In '74". My ass this isn't a rock band) This band brings all the energy of rock into the new millennium, something I've yet to so any other band do. Also, I love Paul Gilbert, and that certainly influenced my vote.

Best progressive rock/metal act: Opeth: For reasons already mentioned. Many of their songs are masterstrokes, these guys have really done a lot to the genre.

Best Metal album: Wintersun - Wintersun: One of the reasons I like this so much is because of how it further explores the genre of metal. There isn't another band that sounds like this (of course Ensiferum is close, but Wintersun further progresses the sounds and adds other elements) As I said, it's very refreshing to hear, especially considering this plague of melodic-blech-core garbage that is apparantly the prevalent form of metal now. (Don't take this the wrong way, I may not be talking about any of the bands you listen to although I probably am)

Best Death Metal album: The Machinations of Dementia - Blotted Science: It may not be death metal, but it's certainly not prog rock and fits here better than anywhere else (alex webster anyone?) Anyways, this is one torrent of sound. A bunch of cool guys come together to play some fucking heavy shit, complete with forced tempo/time signature changes! Normally I hate this type of stuff because the bands always try too hard to make their stuff progressive enough, but this is different. I'm not about to tell you that this album is a smooth flow, as it very much isn't. But that's the point, it's a really chaotic sound. The guitar is the main instrument here (no really) and the guitarist certainly has an interesting style. Give something like "Bleeding in the Brain" a listen for some crazy-ass soloing.

Best progressive rock/metal album: Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence - Dream Theater: The title track is a must-listen, and the other 5 tracks are some of DT's best stuff (especially "The Great Debate"-- possibly the best song off that album)

Best comeback:Megadeth: Right as I thought thrash metal had come to an end (well, the deal-breaker for me was Death Magnetic. An album that received loads of hype and something supposed to clean the nasty mark left by St. Anger. There are now two nasty marks, at least.) This album certainly isn't a revitalization of thrash (or even just megadeth) by any means, but it is certainly megadeth's best album since Rust in Peace. I look forward to the next Megadeth album.

Best male artist: Pat Metheny! (who saw this coming?)

Best female artist: Vicki Genfan: Give her a listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9zwZtfVX8I

Also check out Atomic Reshuffle

Really, really brilliant guitar work here. Unlike anything I've ever heard.

Best debut: Wintersun - Wintersun: This one just barely passes Erotic Cakes for me.

Best live album: Personae - Hellborg, Lane, Sipe: Some brilliant showcases of instrumentation, composition, and overall talent. There is really a lot to listen to here, especially if you are a guitarist.

Fugitive wrote:

You're now my favorite Scorehero-er to grace this thread. Never thought any of my nominations would get seconded. (You should second their album as best metal album )

Done
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: