ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Need to Start Drinking Milk Again. Couple Q's (researchfail)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdamillio  

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: Need to Start Drinking Milk Again. Couple Q's (researchfail) Reply with quote

i know this place isnt for stuff like this cause most of the time you can find it on google and other search engines. for some reason i cant find any information on what im looking for and these questions should be able to be found but research failed.

so i havent drank milk in about... 8 or 9 years, and ive realized the extreme weakness my bones have become now. i really want to start drinking milk again and get healthy and strong bones. i suffered a terrible triad 2 years ago and drinking milk will really help with those bones too.

1. how many cups of milk do you guys encourage me to drink a day if i want to build these strong bones?
when i started (couple days ago), i drank 3 a day. one before school, one after school, and one before bed (approx. an hour before). i feel like i should be drinking more but i really dont know if 3 a day is enough.

2. how long should i do this daily routine? i was planning to do it for 365 days but im not sure if thats even close to enough time. i will be drinking milk after this routine, but i know i wont be drinking it as much, thats why i asked this question since i would no longer be following a schedule.

3. i always mix some nesquik with my milk, its hard for me to drink it raw, i just get a HORRIBLE aftertaste that makes me wanna puke.
is this going to effect my bones in anyway? will i still be getting the normal amount of calcium as i would without mixing nesquik?

thanks to anyone who helps me out, this is something i really need to do and it is REALLY important for me, especially since i suffered a terrible triad. i am the youngest person in the history of the USA to suffer and completely heal from it. i was 14 at the time. theres pictures of my elbow going around the entire United States for the best doctors/surgeons to see and study. pretty cool amirite? the only thing i cant do is bend my arm all the way forward. it can max out to ~150 degrees, and not the full 180.

First ever TTFAF FC with 3 Fingers, 8/19/10 - Never Forget

GH3X: 9th Place - 69/70 FCs (One)
- Youtube: joedamillio
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: joedamillio
MetalheadNorm  

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude. Have a big bowl of cereal and milk every morning, and then have a decent sized glass of C.Milk sometime later in the day. This will give you plenty of calcium when combined with a normal teenager diet.
032 x 12" Vinyl
001 x 10" Vinyl
008 x 7" Vinyl
003 x Hooded Sweatshirt
016 x T-shirt
011 x Patch
028 x Band Pin
internetguy87  

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Need to Start Drinking Milk Again. Couple Q's (researchf Reply with quote

jdamillio wrote:
i know this place isnt for stuff like this cause most of the time you can find it on google and other search engines. for some reason i cant find any information on what im looking for and these questions should be able to be found but research failed.

so i havent drank milk in about... 8 or 9 years, and ive realized the extreme weakness my bones have become now. i really want to start drinking milk again and get healthy and strong bones. i suffered a terrible triad 2 years ago and drinking milk will really help with those bones too.

1. how many cups of milk do you guys encourage me to drink a day if i want to build these strong bones?
when i started (couple days ago), i drank 3 a day. one before school, one after school, and one before bed (approx. an hour before). i feel like i should be drinking more but i really dont know if 3 a day is enough.

2. how long should i do this daily routine? i was planning to do it for 365 days but im not sure if thats even close to enough time. i will be drinking milk after this routine, but i know i wont be drinking it as much, thats why i asked this question since i would no longer be following a schedule.

3. i always mix some nesquik with my milk, its hard for me to drink it raw, i just get a HORRIBLE aftertaste that makes me wanna puke.
is this going to effect my bones in anyway? will i still be getting the normal amount of calcium as i would without mixing nesquik?

thanks to anyone who helps me out, this is something i really need to do and it is REALLY important for me, especially since i suffered a terrible triad. i am the youngest person in the history of the USA to suffer and completely heal from it. i was 14 at the time. theres pictures of my elbow going around the entire United States for the best doctors/surgeons to see and study. pretty cool amirite? the only thing i cant do is bend my arm all the way forward. it can max out to ~150 degrees, and not the full 180.

I am not sure how old are you however the older you get the harder it is to repair bone health.

I am not saying you can't do it, it just takes a lot more calcium, and good diet, and slightly being careful (risking breaks, etc...)

There is no set number, but the advice above about a bowl of cereal and a good glass of milk a day should be enough.

Did you know that protein and calcium actually react against each other as well? Eating too much protein could cancel the benefits of calcium, so make sure you aren't eating meat/fish/beans/nuts 3 times a day or you may have to boost the calcium a little more.

I play my game online
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: internetguy87
SPinD0cter  

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly think you are doing more than enough. Just have a glass of milk or a bowl of cereal in the morning. If you choose a glass eat something like a poptart that just cries "drink milk after you eat me!"

Other than that I like milk and usually have one glass with poptarts then I have one carton with my lunch at school. Other than that, that's all I drink for a day.
Guitar Hero 80's FC's [18/30]
Guitar Hero 3 FC's [46/70]
Guitar Hero 5 FC's [73/85]
Guitar Hero Metallica FC's [28/49]
Guitar Hero Smash Hits FC's [33/48]
Jayhero  

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPinD0cter wrote:

Other than that I like milk and usually have one glass with poptarts then I have one carton with my lunch at school. Other than that, that's all I drink for a day.
holy crap you don't drink anything for dinner?

wow

i have one carton of milk a day, which comes with my lunch

Guitar Hero Expert FCs?
GH1-26 ~ GH2-2 2 ~ GH80s-18 ~ GH3-\(0_o)/
The amazing customs songs I've made and charted...
youtube.com/w1mz11
mskrib02  

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drink raw milk if you can get it. tastes far better then store bough and is healthier as well.

I personally drink about 4-5 glasses a day, have never broken a bone in my life (I'm 24).
Yewb  

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are far better sources of calcium than milk.

Make sure you're getting enough vitamin D, too.
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
NimbleTerror  

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like others have said, eating cereal with milk and maybe a glass of milk before you go to bed should be enough to help improve your bone health.

On another note, what exactly is a triad? Everything I've read shows that it only happens in women and I always thought you were male lol.
Qarx  

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't had milk in 8 or 9 years ? What did you have for breakfast all that time? Milk and cereal has been a staple in my diet ever since I was 4 years old... and I'm 20.

As for Nesquick, that stuff advertises that it has extra calcium in it, so it shouldn't be a problem. If you really that much doubt in not getting enough, ask a physician.

credits to Absoltastic and Pieman for making such awesome banners that aren't the one I made!
My Backloggery
Want a game suggestion, or have one for the community? Click here!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: Qarx64 Wii Friend Code: 4109996624097110
Robbert  

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of milk, try yogurt, cheese and that sort of thing. Doesn't taste a bit like milk, but still contains the calcium. Stuff like seeds work wonders, too and most stuff like orange juice have it, as well.

Also, when making sandwiches, butter them. It shouldn't be the main source of calcium, but you'll get some minimal amounts that way.

And: vitamin D to absorb it, though most milk is artificially fortified with it.

Another alternative are vitamin and mineral supplements, which usually contain at least 20-25% of your daily required calcium and enough vitamin D. These don't replace a good meal, though!

Lastly: what's a triad? ;x

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: UpgradePolecat
this1neguy  

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only joint-based triad I know of is the unhappy triad, which is a somewhat common injury in football involving torn MCL/ACL and the meniscus.

Research!

Quote:
The usual terrible triad of the elbow consists of posterior dislocation of the elbow, radial head fracture, and coronoid fracture.

In other words, the bone is dislocated, the head of the radius is broken, and an ulnar projection is broken as well. This is an awful compound injury to endure, judging by its name and what it involves.
Silly wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
I hope the April Fool's joke is expertwin becoming a mod

Reports coming in that over five hundred thousand players of the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games have simultaneously committed seppuku
jdamillio  

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats right this1oneguy. thats a terrible triad for ya. and it is far worse than you think it is, thats why me fully recovering from it was such a big deal to doctors around the USA.

reserving this post for responses to other posts.

internetguy87 - in 17 now, i was born april 9th '93. i had no idea about that fact, thanks for letting me know =D

spind0ctor - idk, to me it feels like its not enough. i eat nothing that goes good with milk; either that or its just me

mskrib02 - you're a lucky man, this is my only serious injury though but im afraid i can easily break another bone. i used to skateboard, and falling wouldnt hurt me at all. i tried skating not too long ago, i fell, and i had a nice bruise from it, wasnt even a bad fall either =/

yewb - the only thing i can handle out of that is orange juice =/ its something else though! thanks for that information, definately helped my knowledge

nimbleterror - i am a man lol. read the bottom post for the definition of a terrible triad

qarx - i used to have cereal and milk every single day when i was young. now its stuff like sausage and eggs, betty crocker's chocolate chip muffins, french toast, stuff like that

robbert - thanks for the info! always helps when another persons gives good information

if i can get ahold of my xrays (idk where they are), ill post them here. they are pretty brutal =]

First ever TTFAF FC with 3 Fingers, 8/19/10 - Never Forget

GH3X: 9th Place - 69/70 FCs (One)
- Youtube: joedamillio
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: joedamillio
catfish7  

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supposedly Vitamin D isn't processed unless you get some natural sunlight to make your body use it. So get outside too!
Bradmasta  

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 18 and I haven't had milk since i was 11 o_O I feel stronger than ever though (maybe its because im lifting). and for anyone who asks, i eat cereal plain lol. What i would suggest to you is just drink a glass or two each day, and have some milk with your cereal for a nice balanced breakfast.
Yewb  

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hesitate to recommend this, but you could always try plain CaCO3 in the form of antacids or... well, no, I'm not going to advocate eating chalk. But antacids are an option. Sort of. Make sure, if you decide to go this route, that you take an antacid which actually contains calcium (in the form of CaCO3), though, because some don't any more. Also, don't take too much, it IS possible to "overdose" on antacids if you take way too much for way too long.
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.

Last edited by Yewb on Sat May 22, 2010 2:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: