Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Little-Known Facts About You!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregoryZero  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also very horrible when it comes to managing my free time. It's taken me this long to think of another thing to say. I guess I don't view myself as a very interesting person.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here I was, figuring that I was the only one who used semicolons in text messages. We should presumably start a Facebook group or something.

Anyhow, interesting things about me, keeping the list to a bare minimum of most-anomalous high points:

- I was born with severe bilateral clubfoot in both feet. They were surgically "fixed" to the extent that they could when I was six months old, but it's left me with certain shortcomings like "does not have functioning Achilles' tendons". Pointing my toes, much less standing on them? Completely alien concept. (Which means that there's no real spring in my step, so I look a bit like I'm gorilla-ing around when I walk. Also, evidence suggests I'm probably quietly liquefying every joint in my legs. I'll save the whole depressing tirade for another time.)

- I won the California State Math Test for 5th and 6th graders when I was in 5th grade, getting one of two perfect 40-out-of-40 scores. Won the Santa Cruz County math contest every year until they literally stopped holding the things for my grade level, too - I must still have the plaques somewhere. I took math classes three years ahead of my grade level, where I got to be endlessly shuttled around between the various local high school / junior high / elementary school campuses. (In 4th grade, I spent my whole day on one campus; this didn't happen again until freshman year of high school. And then not again until I graduated high school and moved along to college For Real.)

- I had a personal website (antwon.com) back in the day where I managed to produce at least one post a day for over three straight years, ultimately totaling over 1.2 million(!) words of content before the server exploded. (This was an "E/N" site, a term which probably means nothing to you. You can read more about the concept here, assuming that linking to a MetaFilter thread I posted in over a decade ago counts as a "citation".) It started out as light fare - just a way to get regular visitors while working on my "real" content - but evolved into 1200+ word humorous essays generated daily, with links to intermittent longer fare I'd penned. (In a parallel universe, I could've lucked out, blossomed, and become a wordier variant of SomethingAwful. No dice. Such is life.)

- I was the first person in the world to successfully write a program in the programming language Malbolge. I was acknowledged for doing so in Wikipedia and everything! When the aforementioned server went down, though, my proof evaporated along with it, and I was quickly edited out of existence by the teeming hordes of citation-demanding wiki-goers. But I still had my moment in the sun, however little evidence remains.

- I'm still trying to visit every county in the United States. I'm "only" one-third done, but eh, no one said it would be easy. Not that I've even touched every state yet. So:

alexhaz64 wrote:
I have been to all 50 states. Last one was Mississippi. >.>

Someday I'll knock you out, Alaska and Hawaii. Someday....

(Unrelated note to self: procure copious amounts of Certs before heading out to Austin in the spring.)

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
inv4der  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inv4der wrote:
EDIT: I remembered my phobia of all forms of pain, loss of body parts, disfigurement, that sort of thing. It even extends to an irrational fear of these things being contagious. I get a little uneasy around people with deformities or missing limbs. (I dislike that it goes that far, but it's not exactly something I can control. It especially annoys me because I hate intolerant people (their own medicine etc) but then I have this stupid fear or whatever.)

youhas wrote:
- I was born with severe bilateral clubfoot in both feet. They were surgically "fixed" to the extent that they could when I was six months old, but it's left me with certain shortcomings like "does not have functioning Achilles' tendons". Pointing my toes, much less standing on them? Completely alien concept. (Which means that there's no real spring in my step, so I look a bit like I'm gorilla-ing around when I walk. Also, evidence suggests I'm probably quietly liquefying every joint in my legs. I'll save the whole depressing tirade for another time.)

I admit I don't exactly know what your condition means and I'm certainly not going to be looking or asking for that information. However, until I get over my stupid fear, I must apologize and then say that I'm not very eager to meet you in person. (Nothing against you personally, of course, just my neurosis and prior warning of something that triggers it.)

While I'm yet again mentioning my fear of that sort of thing, I'll make to offer to try to answer questions if that might help me find a way to deal with it.

EDIT: I figure I'd add something I thought about. Even though I'd assume youhas would want to change that particular attribute of himself, it is at least a small portion of what's made him who he is now. In fact it's probably a more major factor being that it's physical. So while it would make me uncomfortable, I wouldn't want to change it simply because that would change who he is in a way. The same thing goes for my mental issue about... unpleasant things. It's part of me and while I may have an issue with it, it's something that has had an effect on my character.

That's almost something this thread is about in a way, things that are interesting about you are likely things that have either shaped you, or are a result from something that's affected you. So even if it's something you don't like, it's part of you. (And hey, maybe sharing will make you feel better.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God this is so depressing, I just realized what a boring person I am

Lets see

-I have never owned a mobile phone, and that doesn't look like changing anytime soon. Maybe someday
-My mother is on first name terms with one of the guys who originally created Grand Theft Auto, and also once partied with the guy who played pippin in lord of the rings
-My favorite TV shows are House M.D. and The Big Bang Theory
-I'll be eating a Dominoes pizza in a few hours time
-My greatest passion in life is cosmology and astronomy
-My favorite sport is football, which I usually play every Friday night, I play goalkeeper
-My favorite stand up comedian is Dylan Moran
-I enjoy karaoke, and partake in it as much as I can
-My favorite band is Green Day (as many of you may know at this point)
-My favorite films are Inception and Planes, Trains and Automobiles.
-I enjoy country music
-I have cried once whilst watching a film, which was at the climax of the film Dead Man Walking, starring Sean Penn who is quite stunning in the starring roll
-I think The Godfather is the most overrated film ever
-Despite my hatred of them, I have actually seen all three twilight films multiple times, except the third, only once, because they are just so much fun to rip on

And... that's about it, for now
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Starchaser NI
JohnnyGrey  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I much prefer a plate of (buttery, salty, not-so-healthy anymore) veggies than munching on fruit. There's really only 4-5 fruits I'll actually eat but even then I can only eat so much of them.

I've gone to a restaurant and asked for a coke and when asked if Pepsi was okay, politely refused and got a water instead.

Ever since August of last year or so, the majority of people I've hung out with have been LGBT members. My friend from high school is gay and we went to the same college so I tagged along with him when he went to the LGBT club and I met a bunch of really amazing people. I've met some of my now closest friends, had a bunch of amazing experiences and really just have a better view on life and stuff I guess.

I also don't really know how to ride a bike. My parents "made" me learn enough to ride around the block a few times when I was like 10 or so, but I never really touched one since.

I can easily go from being the "shy, awkward, quiet one" to being an attention whore depending on who I'm with (and if there's anyone to impress ).

My first kiss was the summer after my senior year of high school. Halfway through, her dog came by and licked her face, and then everything just tasted like dog afterward >_>.

For at least the first month of seventh grade I wore strictly Spongebob t-shirts. I was pretty awesome.

Maybe some more later

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... lots to put down here.

1. I have the absolute worst luck with women. I'm not getting into the story, but I have been thieved two times, forced out of the military, and a restraining order on me to live in my apartment and make me pay all the bills.

2. My dad has been disabled since I was 9 or 10, needs two canes to walk. He's inspired me to do what I do and to keep doing it, even though he needs the canes to walk, he still loves and continues to work on his projects.

3. I never went to prom. Thought it was a waste of time, and I don't regret it. I was too busy tearing apart things.

4. My mom got so sick of me tearing apart my computer when I was about 15-16, so she put a lock on the computer case... in which I looked up online how to pick locks, picked it, and got back into it.

5. I modified my first Atari 2600 at 16 years old.

6. I did terrible in school. I just simply didn't care. I wanted to go home and tear things apart.

7. I never went to college. I need to fix that, but it seems like every time that I get the thoughts to do so, something comes up and sets me back.

8. I only play video games once a week, and if I do that, its not a long time. I'd much rather build the projects than to play on them.

9. I suffer from depression pretty bad, and anymore it is why I do my projects. Keeping my mind off of things seems to do the trick, and the result, I make something neat.

10. I drink far too much. I know that I can stop, and I have for over a month at a time. I just enjoy it.

11. I used to know how to tie a tie, but since I left the military, I forgot.

12. Regarding to The-B.O.D.'s post, I am also "that one guy." I have tiny LAN parties with my friends every weekend, and every weekend I slowly introduce them to older and older internet fandom. This past weekend, I showed them the Terrible Secret of Space.

13. No matter how dire of a situation, I never ask for help. I just don't do it. Money, I just sell part of my collection. Emotional, I talk to myself and sort out things. I can be a loner, so not having a lot of friends has never been an issue with me. When I do feel down due to it, I just make/modify something.

14. I cannot eat ice cream. It hurts my mouth too much. I just simply can't do it, can't stand it, can't stand the cold, just everything about it.

15. I absolutely cannot eat cereal with milk in it. Milk in a glass, I'm fine with. On it... forget it.

16. I don't like sweets. I LOVE dark chocolate, regular chocolate I can handle, but anything from cake to whipped cream, I hate it. Some candy I like, and I like pie that isn't too sweet or with whipped cream on it. I also don't like cold pie. See, Ice cream.

17. I don't gamble, and I don't play the lottery. I am entirely too competitive that I know it would end up bad, so I don't play.

18. I cannot stand talking on the phone. Mainly because, when I am talking on the phone, I can't be doing something else. If I am not doing something, I get bored. When I get bored, I get irritated. So yeah... no talking on the phone with me.

19. Last but not least... I admit, I am not as smart as I look. I do a lot of research on Google for things. The Atari in the computer is just a glorified step by step instructions on Ben Heckendorn's page on how to build an Atari 2600 portable. I learned to build my first computer by printing up instructions, and the bracket I made tp fix X360s is a custom bracket that you can buy for $40 (the one bracket that requires you to drill holes and bolt the bracket through the steel cage, to the heatsink), but made MUCH cheaper. I go home depressed at least once a week, wondering how I got this far.
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squirrel wrote:

7. I never went to college. I need to fix that, but it seems like every time that I get the thoughts to do so, something comes up and sets me back.

Dude, from what I've seen you do, you need to go get an Engineering degree or something.

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarg338 wrote:
Squirrel wrote:

Dude, from what I've seen you do, you need to go get an Engineering degree or something.

See number 19. Its also why I kinda was hesitant about things. I mean, a lot of things I have done I kinda improvised, but eh... still, it all goes back to google.
PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyGrey wrote:
I also don't really know how to ride a bike. My parents "made" me learn enough to ride around the block a few times when I was like 10 or so, but I never really touched one since.

I feel better knowing I am not the only person who can't do this. Although I learned to ride a Razor scooter years back, so I imagine I have at least some semblance of balance, despite what me constantly tripping over thin air would lead you to believe.

JohnnyGrey wrote:
For at least the first month of seventh grade I wore strictly Spongebob t-shirts. I was pretty awesome.

I'm jealous as fuck.
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
bclare  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be able to ride a bike, when I was a kid. More recently, my sister tried to get me to try again (her boyfriend is a cyclist and works at a bike shop, they both bike a lot) and I could not. You know the phrase "It's like riding a bike"? Well, it wasn't.

@youhas Your description of how you walk with no spring in your step reminds me of my old roommate who could not jump to save his fucking life. Seriously, he's 6'3" and can barely touch the net of a basketball hoop. He doesn't have any physical leg/foot problem that he's aware of though, just sucks at jumping.
CorpusCollosum  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squirrel wrote:
15. I absolutely cannot eat cereal with milk in it.

Same! I eat several bowls of cereal every day, always without milk. I simply don't like milk at all. Plus you don't have to clean the bowl afterward.

Currently playing: Gears, Batman
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: PistonHonda22 PSN Name: SodaPopinskii
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squirrel wrote:
15. I absolutely cannot eat cereal with milk in it. Milk in a glass, I'm fine with. On it... forget it.

I'm completely the opposite. I have loads of milk on my cereal and always drink what's left after the cereal is finished... but a glass of milk, or straight from the bottle? Absolutely no chance.

Erm, interesting facts about me? I'll get back to you on that one.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
MehPlusRawr  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The-B.O.D. wrote:
-The number one thing that I hate most in the entire world is when people give me pity. Partly because I have a fair bit of pride in me, partly because my general self loathing would paint me as someone wallowing in pity for attention (I hate people like this, cause I'm always afraid I'll end up like that), and partly because people can be so goddamn condescending that I just wanna punch them in the nose

Wow, that must suck. Sorry that's the case. Someone had to do it.
dragoninforcer  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guess i'm gonna have to do this too........

1. I'm what you would call "overweight", or what Wii Fit would call "obese". I'm 14 years old, around 5'3" to 5'4", and 175 pounds (i lost like ten pounds over the summer).

2. I love science. Science is just something I have found interesting since I was little (and math, too).

3. Simple Plan was the band that got me started into "rock" music, but i think the defining moment was the day my dad bought Green Day's American Idiot first day (he loves Green Day). And GH/RB got me into the hard rock/metal music i listen to today.

4. Now that you know i listen to hard rock/metal now, you should know that when i was a little kid, my favorite band was...... wait for it....... *NSYNC.

5. I'm the biggest procrastinator you'll ever meet. Just ask my teachers.

6.I prefer playing my real instruments to the video games, which i still play every now and again. I still love everything Harmonix makes (addicted to VidRhythm atm).

7.I go on scorehero on a daily basis. Usually nothing too exiting but you never know
FreeXBird  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bclare wrote:
@youhas Your description of how you walk with no spring in your step reminds me of my old roommate who could not jump to save his fucking life. Seriously, he's 6'3" and can barely touch the net of a basketball hoop. He doesn't have any physical leg/foot problem that he's aware of though, just sucks at jumping.

i've always taken pride in my half-assed ability to jump (AND i'm white). i've never had any training for jumping or even worked out a day in my life, and freshmen year when i was 5'6" i could touch net. at least people used to tell me that was good for my height, idk if it was though, considering i hung out with a bunch of suck-at-jumpin whities
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: