Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
What can I expect with my first gig
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
killermonkey  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: What can I expect with my first gig Reply with quote

Hey Scorhero, me and my friends have been jamming for 3 days now, we have a 30 minute set at the Roseland Theatre in Portland Or on Feb 2nd.
It's a battle of the bands type thing I think, and I was just wondering what should I expect for this. I'm scared shitless not gonna lie. I've been in plays and stuff like that but being a death metal vocalist in front of 1000 people that may not like death metal is a bit different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccIMuiTGnuM&feature=youtu.be

this is us, we definitely need improvement on drums but that'll come. Anyway any critiques and advice is greatly appreciated.
wallflower  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could tell you it's all peachy, but knowing you've only jammed 3 times, chances are someone will screw up. Suck it up and move on. If you make it apparent someone screwed up, then the audience will know.

Good luck and have fun. Once you're up there and going, it won't matter.
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screwing up is normal and I've been to many concerts where big name bands screw up the beginning of the song or something, and they just play it off, probably make a joke (One band had the audience yell "[name] fucked up!"), and just restart. Just play it off, everyone screws up.

Obviously practicing makes it better, but worrying about it makes it worse. I bet once you get your opening song out of the way, you'll be just fine and the nerves will subside.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you both very much, I'm expecting the worst but hoping for the best at this point. It's extra scary being a death metal vocalist when it's not a death metal show, oh well, no matter how good or bad it is I'm gonna have the show filmed so if anyone wants to watch it I'll link it in this thread when it's done.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What can I expect with my first gig Reply with quote

killermonkey wrote:
this is us, we definitely need improvement on drums but that'll come. Anyway any critiques and advice is greatly appreciated.

As a survivor of a few performances, act like every note you played was on purpose, if you screw up don't admit it or show you are bothered by it, and definitely don't restart a song or anything like that. Be a perfectionist in practice, then once you get to the show, do your best and remember to enjoy yourself; if you're having a good time on stage that helps the people watching have a good time too.
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say Blind hit it on the head. Honing your improv skills is vital for performance for all members, so that way if you fuck up you can just run with it and play it off like you meant to do that (admittedly this can get you some weird looks from your band members, but as long as the audience doesn't know any better you'll be just fine).
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
wallflower  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

killermonkey wrote:
It's extra scary being a death metal vocalist when it's not a death metal show, oh well, no matter how good or bad it is I'm gonna have the show filmed so if anyone wants to watch it I'll link it in this thread when it's done.

My little brother has been through this exact same thing a few times. Honestly, own it up. Don't feel like the outsider because they're uncomfortable with you. As a Death Metal band you have almost no chance of winning. My brother lost to some old guys stuck in the early 80's soft-rock phase called Blue Powdah Monkeys (He loves the fact that it's a part of band history now because he might go places).
Fhdra  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to harness as much star power as you can during the easy parts of you songs. Then when you get to more difficult licks, activate it, otherwise the crowd will start booing and you'll have to restart the song all over again.

killermonkey  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fhdra wrote:
Try to harness as much star power as you can during the easy parts of you songs. Then when you get to more difficult licks, activate it, otherwise the crowd will start booing and you'll have to restart the song all over again.

you sir win at life and just made my morning. And to the poster above you
that's what I'm expecting, I don't think we'll win anything but it'd pretty nifty if we did. Why isn't death metal more common? than again I like it not being common lol
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know most people just can't get around the growls, even friends I know who grew up listening to metal like me can't get into the growls in many of the bands I listen to (With the one exception being pretty much anything Akerfeldt does, I seriously have not found a single person who doesn't enjoy his vocals). I can't explain it really, I have some friends tell me it's because they want to understand the lyrics; then go and listen to Gangnam Style... I'll never make sense of people.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
killermonkey  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nubnut wrote:
I know most people just can't get around the growls, even friends I know who grew up listening to metal like me can't get into the growls in many of the bands I listen to (With the one exception being pretty much anything Akerfeldt does, I seriously have not found a single person who doesn't enjoy his vocals). I can't explain it really, I have some friends tell me it's because they want to understand the lyrics; then go and listen to Gangnam Style... I'll never make sense of people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULFh5Y4HnnI&feature=youtu.be

finally got a mic so this is what my screams and growls really sound like. I finally learned how to do real pig squeels too. and I know what you mean. People just hear growls and think what the fuck is this asshat doing, but I'm still gonna give it my all
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't hear your growls too well over the guitar but from what I can hear it sounds like some good screaming in there.

I will say though, I think your drummer needs to work on his chops a bit to say the least...
Fhdra  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap dude, you seriously need to reconsider your drummer...

skinnywhitecomic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What can I expect with my first gig Reply with quote

blingdomepiece wrote:
killermonkey wrote:

As a survivor of a few performances, act like every note you played was on purpose, if you screw up don't admit it or show you are bothered by it, and definitely don't restart a song or anything like that. Be a perfectionist in practice, then once you get to the show, do your best and remember to enjoy yourself; if you're having a good time on stage that helps the people watching have a good time too.

Excellent advice. This is advice for someone you'd give to someone in an improv show. Everything you do, you MEANT to do that. Own it. Have fun. Don't give a shit about the audience, or what kind of music they like. Fuck 'em. Do your thing and whatever happens, was meant to happen.

GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What can I expect with my first gig Reply with quote

skinnywhitecomic wrote:
Don't give a shit about the audience, or what kind of music they like. Fuck 'em. Do your thing and whatever happens, was meant to happen.

I'm gonna play devil's advocate a bit on this one. Totally agree that you need to own your mistakes - if you go with the flow and act cool with it, so will the audience. But I will also say that "don't give a shit about the audience" as advice for a band isn't necessarily good. Good live bands, in my experience, play off of the audience, see what they're enjoying or not enjoying, and adapt accordingly. If the audience is bored then you must be boring, which is why I think you SHOULD care about the audience to some degree. Not everyone there will like death metal, that much is true, but if you're gonna say "Fuck 'em" to your audience then what is the point of playing in front of people to begin with? Do you want to entertain people with your music, or just play while other people are listening?

Number 1 priority is for them to have fun and enjoy themselves, but the audience is there to have fun, too. If killermonkey suspects this might not be a death metal crowd, IMO he should take that into account when planning his setlist (i.e. - not picking the heaviest songs in their repertoire... or even having a couple of "crowd-pleaser" covers to throw in should the situation warrant it).

But if Guitar Hero loading screens have taught me anything... what ever you do, don't just "jam"!

Disclaimer: I say all this as someone who only kinda-sorta likes death metal. I like what I like, but there is a lot I don't like and I can get why some people outright hate it. Which is why I think going for the happy medium could be better for your first real gig, especially one in front of a varied audience. Does your city have any small venues you can test out before doing the big one in February? It might be better to have your first real show be in front of a death metal crowd...

1KJ08mq.jpg

Last edited by GuitarHailz on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: