ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Kotaku: Guitar Hero 7 Was a Disaster
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toymachine  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Kotaku: Guitar Hero 7 Was a Disaster Reply with quote

http://kotaku.com/5965684/guitar-hero-7-was-going-to-have-six+string-guitars-no-drums-no-singing-was-cancelled-in-2011

Quote:
The new console game was going to be solely guitar-based, according to my source, who was thoroughly unimpressed with the development of the game. GH7 would have no drumming. No singing. Both of those elements had been added to the series after the series' original developers, Harmonix, began creating their own Rock Band games for MTV. But a troubled development cycle would see GH7 pare back to the series' roots: playing along to music with a video game controller shaped like a guitar

Quote:
Guitar Hero 7's guitar would be its most obvious deviation from its predecessors. It was going to change the gameplay of the series. "This amazing thing was a six stringed guitar," the source told me, sarcastically. "Not a real guitar, or even full six-stringed. It had the classic Guitar Hero buttons on the neck with one extra new button, and six strings where the strum bar used to be. YAY! Now they have an extra button and five more strum bars!"

Quote:
The morphing venue concept was too unwieldy and the game began to collapse under the weight of the developers' "big ambitions". "They started designing locations," my source said. "A tomb, the back of a moving truck. The locations were going to match the songs. Each song would have it's own music video. It was a nice idea, and some of the concepts looked great. Then they realized they didn't have any songs. Everything was being built around 'Turn The Page - Metallica,' and 'A Thing Called Love - The Darkness.' They'd change the venues and animations as the songs came in.

Quote:
"When the songs started coming in, a great sense of dread came about everyone with an active brain," the source continued. "The game had all of the worst hits from the 1990's. They realized that, with our lack of budget and time, they couldn't get quality music so they bought bargain basement music like 'Closing time' and 'Sex and Candy.' There were some songs in there that had been used at least three times in the GH franchises before.

dragoninforcer  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol
Parama  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pff glad it got cancelled
sounds like a crappy game.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goodness. That would have been quite an ambitious process. They did have some ideas that had merit and that you could argue for, such as the adding of a button, going back to a guitar-only game, reworking the venues to be more specific to the song, and even rebooting the engine. However, I think they were trying to do too many changes for the franchise, and some would have been really bad. The track list sounded like it would have been terrible, and having 6 strum bars would have been way too complicated, both for making the guitars and for playing them (though I'm curious to see what that gameplay would have looked like). Overall, it looks like they made the right decision in scrapping the project. I'll take my WoR as a closer for the franchise.

As for the topic of whether we will ever see another GH game, my guess would be that it may come with the release of new consoles from Microsoft and Sony, if and when those happen.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I was surprised that it was canceled, then saddened, then I'm kinda glad being that it sounds like it was gonna be bad, other than the morphing venue idea could've been kinda cool, but everything else sounded pretty poor.

So...guess Guitar Hero is dead then? I'm glad the return wasn't this crap, but now it seems it'll be gone for a good while longer. Now I'm back to sad Rock Band is still there, which is fine, but Guitar Hero was always better to play to me.
CoolMotion  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gimme an extra button but keep the one strum bar. That would be awesome
SpoonMan  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Kotaku: Guitar Hero 7 Was a Disaster Reply with quote

Quote:
There were some songs in there that had been used at least three times in the GH franchises before.

$100 says Ace of Spades was in that setlist.

I'd actually like to see the full list they had before it was axed. Too bad that's impossible.
All Guitar-Only Games
WINNING.
Exxucus  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the idea of the venues, as I've always seen the choreography and mo-capping as something that set Guitar Hero apart from Rock Band. In Rock Band, half the time the singer will just be doing this awkward one-armed windmill, while in Guitar Hero you get things like the Psychobilly Freakout and the drummer's shenanigans in Lay it on the Line.

The guitar... yikes. That would have been the deal breaker. It sounds like they were halfway to this monstrosity.

As for the setlist... Well, we do know they were still sitting on the rights for Deliverance.

How Awesome GHWoR Is wrote:
Yeah they were. It's amazing how I had an almost naked lady rubbing her boobs on my head (I'm the drummer in the video) and I was like "Hey GTFO I'm trying to play".
ManfredvonKarma  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to ask who internally okayed the notion of having a new peripheral. Where have they been? Did they not see that keyboard and pro guitar sales for Rock Band were lackluster? Did they really think that a new peripheral that wouldn't even have merit as a teaching tool would sell?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Kotaku: Guitar Hero 7 Was a Disaster Reply with quote

SpoonMan wrote:

I'd actually like to see the full list they had before it was axed. Too bad that's impossible.

I'm still waiting for GH: Ace of Spades to come out. Word on the street is that's what they were working on instead of GH:RHCP
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: ESC57
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a return to a Guitar/Bass only mode would be fine by me. give us a solid setlist and this should be set in stone. there's lots and lots of songs yet to be charted, but there's bands not wanting to be in music game. that might be one of the problem with new and innovative setlist.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exxucus wrote:

As for the setlist... Well, we do know they were still sitting on the rights for Deliverance.

Figures that by the time we could finally get an on-disc Opeth song, it would be in a guitar only game. Oh well, all in all this game does truly sound heinous (I would be saddened by a guitar only game, as a drummer, but I would enjoy playing guitar still) and I think it's for the best that it went under.
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
Thirdkoopa  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to be like the only person here who's first thought was "WAIT THEY HAD THE RIGHTS TO SEMISONIC? NOOOOOOO at least it wasn't full band but NOOOOOO"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thirdkoopa wrote:
I have to be like the only person here who's first thought was "WAIT THEY HAD THE RIGHTS TO SEMISONIC? NOOOOOOO at least it wasn't full band but NOOOOOO"

I'm confused by three things:

The color and font choice of your banners.

Whether or not the rights to that song being acquired is a good thing.

The color and font choice of your banners.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoolMotion wrote:
Gimme an extra button but keep the one strum bar. That would be awesome

Boom. I would easily drop 100$ for a guitar hero game that introduced a sixth button.

The extra strum bars sound ridiculous though. And the setlist sounded like crap. I do love "Closing Time' and "Sex and Candy" but not for a guitar hero game. As sad as it makes me to not have another GH, it looks like it was for the best
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: