ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
DrewG Recomends: Movies you may have...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrewG  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: DrewG Recomends: Movies you may have... Reply with quote

Movies you may have never heard of, just missed, or almost forgotten.

Grave of the Fireflies (1988)
Directed by Isao Takahata

The latest film to enter my top twenty is also one of the most emotionally draining and devestating films I've ever seen. The story is centered around the story around a 14 year old boy Seita and his 4 year old sister Setsuko struggling to survive in Japan during the conflict infested times of World War II. The film is based on the memoir of the same name by Akiyuki Nosaka. Often Anime isn't taken seriously. Many people would see Grave of the Fireflies and think of Pokemon, Dragonball Z and other things of that nature. I've never been a tremendous fan of anime or of the series mentioned, but Grave of the Fireflies made me into a believer that anime and other animated cinema could truly be emotionally effecting and draining. Grave of the Fireflies is a film of scarce hope and happiness...but the some of the most touching moments come in the interactions between Seita and Setsuko and their attempts to stay alive and healthy as the world crumbles around them. The film is a truly incredible experience, a film that has the power to keep me up at night when I think about it. This is a movie that provokes a tremendous string of emotions, but its greatest strength is a story of two innocent souls trying to live the best way they can in a time of desperation and sadness.

Breaking the Waves (1996)
Directed by Lars Von Trier

Befor Lars Von Trier was making controversial films about America (a country he has never visited), he made discussion worthy films like 1996's gem Breaking the Waves. Nearly all of Von Trier's films have split critics right down the middle, but Breaking the Waves is one of his films where the critics just agreed: it was a powerful and incredible piece of art in the medium of film. The film is the story of newlywds: the naive Bess (Emily Watson) and her husband Jan (Stellan SkarsgÄrd). They remain happily married until tragedy strikes at Jan's job as an oilman and he becomes paralyzed from the neck down. Bess, who has never experienced such sadness will do anything to have her love be able to walk again. In a shining example of how naive Bess truly is, she begins to follow her husbands wish on his hospital bed: make love with as many men as possible and come back and tell him about it. Bess, despite the rules of her strict religious town forbiding it, goes on a sexual journey hoping her escapades will help Jan to walk again. The synopsis sounds odd but the film is a masterwork. Not a short film by any means (over two and a half hours) the film is moved along but the incredible acting, realistic writing and a story that remains constantly interesting and shocking. Emily Watson received a well deserved Oscar nomination for her role and the film has continued to find an audience over time. Critic Roger Ebert cites the film as one of the 10 best films of the 90's decade. A painful but rewarding journey about the lengths one can go for love, religion and the happiness of others.

Tape (2001)
Directed by Richard Linklater

I've always found myself drawn in by films that take place entirely in one object or in one room (Lifeboat, 12 Angry Men etc). I've also always liked movies or shows that happen in real time (24,Rope). Tape is both of these things. I really enjoy watching a movie like this work becuase when its completely dependent on dialogue and story, its very hard to keep the viewer interested. Thankfully Tape is a complete success in every aspect. The story is simple. Vince (Ethan Hawke) is moping around his motel room waiting to see his old friend Jon (Robert Sean Leonard) who has a film debuting at the nearby film festival. At first Vince is pleasant toward his old friend but as the taut film goes along (only 86 minutes) his questions become increasingly more hostile. Vince is still confused about a certain incident that took place during high school, one that involves a mutual love of theirs Amy (Uma Thurman) and an experience that Jon surely wants to forget. Painful confessions, past secrets and true feelings are revealed along the course of this real time drama that slowly but surely peels away layers to a myriad of answers and conclusions for the audiences to draw and expand on. A ton of credit has to go to writer/director Richard Linkalter who manages to keep Tape not only intriguing but extremely gripping throughout its short but effective runtime. Amazing how much real drama could spring from 3 actors, 1 hotel room and 86 quick minutes.
Leitmotif  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of these movies are The Big Lebowski.

DrewG  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take my word for it: they are all great!
DrewG  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, the Coen brothers are overrated...zing!
tommy2000  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to watch GotF when it came on FilmFour but it was on at 2.50 AM!!

Still, My Neighbour Totoro is a masterpiece. One of the best movies i have ever seen.
IEatGlue  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my cousin had gotten GOTF imported from hong kong, it was prerrt cool, from what i understood, their were no subs so he had to trandlate it for me

but i got the jist

popemobile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of these movies are Monty Python and the Holy Grail or Super Troopers

No
DrewG  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone has heard of those movies, what would be the point of recomending them?
Anthony  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people have heard of GotF, although it is a fantastic movie. Breaking the Waves is one of my favorite movies from the 90s. Never seen Tape but I'll check it out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Requim of a dream

AMAZING Movie.

Pretty much about these 4 people addicted to drugs and how it ends up ruining there lives. Its an extremely real movie, some parts are downright disturbing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: