ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
YYZ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darksidegohan  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: YYZ Reply with quote

I have a couple of questions about people's techniques on YYZ because I suck pretty bad at this song.

First off, I was wondering if on the BBYBYRR (i think that's what it is) and the BBYBYRG and one fret shifts of those, if people strum all those notes or they use HO/PO.

And the other question is, if there any specific technique for getting the OBYBOBO part? I can get the OBYBO 99% of the time, but I've NEVER hit it with the extra BO.

thanks in advance.
DemonHybrid  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strum all of BBYBYRR, but I strum BBYB of BBYBYRG and then just HO the rest. I find that most consistant.

As for OBYBO, hit OBYBO like you normally do, but when OBYBOBO comes, hit OBYBO normally then slide your index finger over to B and hit O with your middle. Helps tons, I had the same problem.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: DemonHybrid23
emptyset  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: YYZ Reply with quote

darksidegohan wrote:
And the other question is, if there any specific technique for getting the OBYBOBO part? I can get the OBYBO 99% of the time, but I've NEVER hit it with the extra BO.

Fingering:

Y B O OBYBO Y B O OBYBOBO
1 2 3 32123 1 2 3 3212323

HO/POs for the OBYBO and OBYBOBO sections are absolutely necessary. Make sure you don't let off of any notes too early. Tap them a little bit harder to make sure you're hitting every one. Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: YYZ Reply with quote

darksidegohan wrote:

First of all, I still suck at this song, so my response should be taken with that in mind. That part gave me problems for a while, and I discovered my timing was off. I was hitting the second BO either too early or too late, I don't remember which. I think it was more of a problem with the B than the O.
Shadow  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: YYZ Reply with quote

darksidegohan wrote:
First off, I was wondering if on the BBYBYRR (i think that's what it is) and the BBYBYRG and one fret shifts of those, if people strum all those notes or they use HO/PO.

I strum only the notes that need to be strummed in that. For the BBYBYRR/G my fingering is 3323211, for OOBOBYY/R it's 4434322/1

Quote:

Again, I only strum the first O while using the 43234(34) fingering... I think I'm particularly lucky with the extra BO, since I hit that most of the time and still can't understand how the Hell I'm hitting it while using my pinky for O.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strum the whole BBYBYRR run but I use HOPO's for the OBYBO and OBYBOBO. I use 1, 2 and 3 as far as fingering. I guess getting used to using those three to do that is a good thing to learn. Freebird's solo requires it ALL the time.
cobainage1994  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hammer on all (except double notes obviously)

i did the rythm in practice on every speed and finally got it down
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: RandyRhoads801
EviLize  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: YYZ Reply with quote

darksidegohan wrote:
I have a couple of questions about people's techniques on YYZ because I suck pretty bad at this song.

thanks in advance.

I use alternate strumming for the main verse, because all of the notes are evenly spaced apart, so you can keep a constant rhythm in your strumming (and the sound of the strum bar will help keep time for your fretting hand). The hardest part is in the fretting of it, because you start at the top and go down, meaning you have to make sure that your finger is off of the previous note before you strum the next one (which is the same thing that makes playing it on a real guitar difficult). Once you get your fretting hand to do the right thing, you'' be good to go. Practice mode helps for this.

For the RYBOBYBO part, I play the R with my first finger, then slide that finger up to the yellow and play the yellow with my first finger, then the B with my second, and O with my third. That way you won't have to use your pinky at all, which should be easier. The second time around (where there's an extra BO) is harder because you're used to stopping after the first BO. Just force yourself you play two BOs instead of one. Once you get up to the BOBO, forget about the rest of that riff, or what comes after it. Just concentrate on the task at hand, which is playing BOBO. Since you're not using your pinky, it shouldn't be too hard, but if you're still having trouble, practice that part in practice mode, so you can slow it down a little while you get the hang of playing that extra BO at the end.

Hopefully this helps. If you have any questions, just ask.
sluggo  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm struggling to get YYZ down consistently -- I keep getting scores around 200k, but keep flubbing about 20 notes a song in random places, even though I know I can hit everything.

For the (BBYBYRR), I've tried both alt-strumming and downstrumming, but I continually flub 1 out of every 3 or 4 times, which constantly kills my streaks. I might look into hammering soon.

For the OBYBOBO, I used to try strumming it, but now I just strum the first note and hammer the rest, using my 2/3/4 fingers. I'd say I hit this cleanly 9 out of 10 times, so I'll probably stick with it.
EviLize  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're messing up on the BBYBYRR part, your problem isn't the strumming, it's the fretting, which you would still have to fix in order to use HOPOs. Alt strumming gives consistant results, helps you hear the rhythm better, and if you mess up on a note it won't ruin the whole riff for you.

Follow the advice I gave in my previous post, and play YYZ in practice mode, slowed down a little so you can get the hang of how your fretting hand should be moving.
Fireblade  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I HOPO the BBYBYRR (till the last R) and BBYBYRG part on the guitar now, which I'm pretty consistent with. It's screwing me up when I play the bass part, though, due to the extra notes. Does anyone play co-op often and do well on the bass? Do you just strum the whole line in that case?
mscbuck  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody have tips on the end of guitar solo D? (where the bass cuts out, aka the hard part).

I have tried strumming all, and also tried HO-ing. I've tried to watch video and it looks like it's just something you get good at. Do people just hammer on each not individually, or are you keeping your fingers on the GRYB, and then reaching for the orange? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
MJM249  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I one of the few who doesn't shift up to yellow for the OBYBOBO hammer part? I think it just feels more natural doing it shifted to red and using the pinky, and I hit it way more often that way as well.

It feels like my fingers are lightly fluttering when I hit it, just so cool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: