Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Frets on Fire - PC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turbulence  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played Frets on Fire long before I got Guitar Hero. I didn't have trouble finding good songs, if you know where to look you can get pretty much every Guitar Hero through GH3 song and chart.

I've spent the last couple of evenings trying to get my PS2 Guitar Hero controller to work with Frets on Fire, with no luck. I figured out that it may be impossible to get it to play well with a Guitar Hero controller, through the following attempts to troubleshoot.

First, I just used a PS2 to USB converter so that my WinXP PC detected the Guitar Hero controller as a joystick. For anyone who is interested, here's how the keys are translated:

Green - Button 6
Red - Button 2
Yellow - Button 1
Blue - Button 3
Orange - Button 4
Strum Bar Down - POV Hat 1 Down
Strum Bar Up - POV Hat 1 Up
Select - Button 10
Start - Button 9
Star Power Activation (tilt controller) - Button 5

Now, Frets on Fire detects the fret key input perfectly, but it had real problem with the strumming - sometimes it will get stuck on a strum, or just stop registering them altogether! Someone suggested using JoyToKey to translate the joystick output into keyboard button presses, and then assigning those buttons to Frets on Fire.

I went through all that, and it did work a lot better, but I kept getting extra strums. For a while I was convinced that the game was detecting both joystick input and keyboard input at the same time, registering double strums when you strum once, but eventually I ruled that out. I had Strum Up bound to "U" and Strum Down bound to "D", and when I grabbed the strum bar and cross-picked as quick as I could with notepad open, JoyToKey had no trouble keeping up - I had a long string of "udududududududududud". This is why I thought that Frets on Fire had to be getting extra input from the controller, or that JoyToKey was outputing longer key presses as opposed to quick taps.

I messed around a lot and finally figured out that wasn't the problem. I tested the controller going into notepad.exe again, this time strumming as I usually do - with a pick. Now I was getting "duuuduuduudduuu" instead of "ududududud". If I strummed all downstrokes, I would get something like "ddduddduddududddu".

It turns out that it was detecting the strum bar bouncing back after a strum as a separate strum. I moved the strum bar slowly and gradually and it would register a strum after moving it barely a millimeter - before it even clicked. It didn't register extra strums when I was holding the strum bar all the time, but I don't play that way. If you always hold the strum bar, you shouldn't have any trouble. If you use a pick or tap it from above, you will get unwanted strums.

It seems that the Guitar Hero games automatically are filtering out the extra input. Since POV Hat output is digital and not analog, it must be that Guitar Hero either only registers a strum if the strum bar moves that way for a certain fraction of a second that doesn't happen on bounce-backs, or it filters out alternating strums if they come too quickly after the previous strum, because I never have overstrum problems using a pick on Guitar Hero, and people who play in the more common way (tapping the bar from above) don't have that problem either.

The only way you can use the controller without holding the strum bar 100% of the time in FoF is to disable the upstrum, and play all downstrums. Then it works fine, but songs that require crosspicking will be impossible.

If there is a similar program to JoyToKey out there that allows you to fine tune what kind of joystick input results in keyboard output, it might be possible to get the controller to work with FoF, but I don't know of any such software.
CleverTangent  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: ah crap, ignore this
Turbulence  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turbulence wrote:

Green - Button 6
Red - Button 2
Yellow - Button 1
Blue - Button 3
Orange - Button 4
Strum Bar Down - POV Hat 1 Down
Strum Bar Up - POV Hat 1 Up
Select - Button 10
Start - Button 9
Star Power Activation (tilt controller) - Button 5
Whammy Bar - Controller Axis Y

Just wanted to add for clarification that those button numbers do not correspond to what the button numbers are on a PS2 controller hooked up to the PC. Here's what they are:

Bottom-Right Shoulder Button - Button 6
Bottom-Left Shoulder Button - Button 5
Select - Button 10
Start - Button 9
Joypad Up - POV Hat 1 Up
Joypad Down - POV Hat 1 Down
X - Button 3
Square - Button 4
Triangle - Button 1
Circle - Button 2

What's interesting about this is that if you could get your Playstation to recognize a PS2 controller as a guitar controller, it would definitely be playable with the controller. All the fret buttons except for Green are the face buttons, and the strumbar equivalent (joypad) is right next to the left joystick, which is used for whammy. I'm wondering if this was the originally planned control scheme for playing Guitar Hero without the guitar controller. This isn't how it works now if you hook up a controller, though - if you use a controller, the fret keys are bound to the shoulder buttons and the X key, and there is no strum input, the game automatically strums when you press a fret button (which is why the long hand-cramping part in Freya is so much easier using a regular controller).
Fedo25  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me...I have a question...
I didn't find the guide anywhere in this forum...
Is there a way to convert the FoF files to GH charts or mids?

Thanks
xtremeshredder  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is kind of necromancing a thread but I have a n00b question.

Can you convert custom songs on SH into FoF songs. Sorry if this is really n00bish, I have to know.
Publish myself as the best GH player in my school [X] (I win)

Spironic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtremeshredder wrote:
Can you convert custom songs on SH into FoF songs. Sorry if this is really n00bish, I have to know.

Yes, you can. I wrote a quick tutorial on this somewhere and saved it. Here it is if you need it.

If it's a .chart file....

Use chart2mid (http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45092) or some other program to make it a .mid file.

Now that you've got a .mid file...

1. Make a Folder for the song somewhere in your Songs directory.

2. Place the .mid file in there and rename it "notes.mid"

3. Get your music file, convert it to .ogg filetype if it's not already, and put it in there with the name "guitar.ogg"

4. Make a new text file and call it "song.ini". In the file, you want these 4 lines: (replace all capital letters with corresponding text)

[song]
name = INSERTSONGNAME
artist = INSERTARTIST
delay = INSERTOFFSET

That's all that's required to play. Note that you can use a negative offset if need be by just adding a minus sign to the beginning of the number. Oh, and if you want to change the color of the cassette (or CD or whatever), add this line:

cassettecolor = #xxxxxx

Replace the x's with hex numbers to represent hex colors (#rrggbb). If you want an image to appear on the cassette/CD, it has to be in .png format, named "label.png", in the same folder as the song.

That's pretty much it. If there's a valid guitar.ogg file, notes.mid file and song.ini file in the folder, the song should play fine. Sometimes different recordings of the same song introduce bad offsets, though, so sometimes you have to fine-tune the offset with trial and error to make it sync right. (You scorehero people should be familiar with this)

The bad news about chart2mid is that it makes those empty "safety charts" that GH users need and FoF users don't, meaning that even in FoF it's gonna show all difficulties as playable. If anybody finds a good way to remove the extra difficulties, or finds a converter that doesn't add them, let me know.

Oh, and for the record, the Dan1lo's/Hering Mod combo is the only Frets on Fire that should ever be played. This is a link to the full, modded FoF:
http://www.fretsonfire.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=11;t=12967;st=0;hl=dan1los+starter+pack
If you download it, make sure you go into Settings > Game Settings > Mod Settings and turn on Dan1lo's and the GH rockmeter. And while you're at it, run through all the settings and make sure everything looks okay. Hammer-ons/Pull-offs may need to be enabled in the RF Mod menu (set it to ON, not SONG).
arweryn  

Location: Canisius High School from 7:30 am till sometimes 5:30 at night

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frets on Fire is fun to play. I think it is harder to play then with the controller. I also think our forms are better and people are less of a jerk on our site!!! Scorehero is awsome and send a message to OpenYourEyes at (360) 609-6697, he keeps track of who from scorehero called him.

I also have a few problems:

1) The game won't let me hit a three note chord.
2) It always lags at the beginning of a song.
3) How do I put torrent and RAR files on.
4) Sometimes it shuts down before i start a song.

Please help me.

Thanks
devinring wrote:
I can't properly grip anything circular about 3-6 centimeters in diameter for like 30 minutes anymore or I get massive knuckle pain in my fretting hand.
I pray to god your not talking about your dick.
Nollaig  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arweryn wrote:
Frets on Fire is fun to play. I think it is harder to play then with the controller. I also think our forms are better and people are less of a jerk on our site!!! Scorehero is awsome and send a message to OpenYourEyes at (360) 609-6697, he keeps track of who from scorehero called him.

I also have a few problems:

1) The game won't let me hit a three note chord.
2) It always lags at the beginning of a song.
3) How do I put torrent and RAR files on.
4) Sometimes it shuts down before i start a song.

Please help me.

Thanks

1. Change your key configurations
2. Get MFH Alarian at the Fan Forums
3. Extract the data and place in song folders. Use WinRAR
4. See 2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I downloaded the RF-Mod from this thread...and put a song in...but once I click the difficulty I want to play, it just turns black and then closes down on me...wtf! lol.

Location: Canisius High School from 7:30 am till sometimes 5:30 at night

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have vista, and mine lags once in a while but i cant hit a YBO chord or a 4note one.
devinring wrote:
I can't properly grip anything circular about 3-6 centimeters in diameter for like 30 minutes anymore or I get massive knuckle pain in my fretting hand.
I pray to god your not talking about your dick.
Evai  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FoF looks suprisingly good with some mods

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldJoc92 wrote:
i saw videos of this and it looks ghetto I think I would rather play GH on ps2.

I agree with playing GH on ps2 (or any console for that matter) but sometimes if your stuck GH-Less this is a good alternative. I deleted it off my harddrive for now because it's not as fun on a laptop. (I have played it on a PC, its much better but GH is still better.)

Evai wrote:

Wow! How did you do this?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whitt333 wrote:
OldJoc92 wrote:
i saw videos of this and it looks ghetto I think I would rather play GH on ps2.

I agree with playing GH on ps2 (or any console for that matter) but sometimes if your stuck GH-Less this is a good alternative. I deleted it off my harddrive for now because it's not as fun on a laptop. (I have played it on a PC, its much better but GH is still better.)

Evai wrote:

Wow! How did you do this?

He Gotz MFH Alarian. Just DL the full installer on the forums

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MFH Alarian modes, version after version, wanna be better and faster, and the laggy problem are on yours computer, not on game.

Currently, are on 3.021.

All mods, replying GH and RB, are awesome in all... this guys deserve it all credits to do this excellent job!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diegosbpr, your avatar is way too large... the maximum size is 135x135.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Other Music Games All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: