ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Text hacking

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pksage  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Text hacking Reply with quote

All right, apologies if there's a topic on this somewhere that I missed.

Would it be possible to edit the songlist/tag-at-beginning-of-song/results screen/etc text to match up with, say, a custom-added song? It looks like all that text is rendered on the fly, meaning that if some string somewhere was changed to something else it wouldn't cause any issues. This would make custom songs a lot more...real.

I personally know next to nothing about this. Could some hunting around with a hex editor find these values? Have they already been found and deemed unchangeable? Does changing them crash some other part of the game? It'd be really nice to be able to see what custom song you're about to play in a way other than the audio sample.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: pksage
Riz  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Text hacking Reply with quote

pksage wrote:
I personally know next to nothing about this. Could some hunting around with a hex editor find these values? Have they already been found and deemed unchangeable? Does changing them crash some other part of the game? It'd be really nice to be able to see what custom song you're about to play in a way other than the audio sample.

Oh, people have definitely already looked. The strings are nowhere to be found. The best speculation at the moment is that they are contained in the scripting (.dtb) files, which are encrypted, so as of right now (and probably for the forseeable future), there is no way to change what appears on the setlist.

Riz.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find the locations.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also curious about changing the text on the loading screen. I know for a fact I have seen it done before on a YouTube video, but I haven't seen anything about changing it here on the forums.
Riz  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The youtube video you probably saw with changed text was likely either *Trippolette or Graveyard Shift. In the cases of these songs, they were already present on the disc, and were "activated" by means of an ARMax/Codebreaker/etc. "patch" that actually changed the names in the setlist *after* the game was loaded and running, and the script files decrypted, by changing the data in memory. This method also imposes a serious limitation, in that the length of the string for the song name you want to appear must be exactly the same as the one you are replacing.

Because the setlist data is (probably) in the encrypted scripting files, there is no way to change them for a normal (hacked) load. An ARMax/etc style running patch is the only way (if it's possible at all).

Riz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: