ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Technique for double rolling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chilli021  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Technique for double rolling Reply with quote

Has anybody got a handy tip on how to do fast double rolls. Such as the yellow cymbal double roll in the Toxicity verse on GH:M or the one's in Freak on a Leash
ElementOfZero  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

? What do you mean by double rolls? Ones that involve both hands?

For the cymbal rolls in Freak on a Leash, I use RLRLR for those that are separated from other cymbal hits, then just use standard alternating stick during the 5-note bursts that are inside the rest of the rolls

such as:

RLR LRL R LRLRL

and

RRR R RLRLR

The Choice Is Yours, And Yours Alone. Silver Snakes 4 Life
My Accomplishment Thread! My Youtube, New Videos posted often
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: v Reincarnate v
g0dly  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a double roll is when you hit a roll going rr ll rr ll ect... you need to hold the stick loose in your hand and get a little bit of a bounce going when you hit the pad that helps you make the second hit very quickly. thats about all there is to it. check out some videos of the good drummers hitting those sections you are talking about (which arent reely rolls but they are still double hits) and watch how they hold the stick and how they get it to hit twice with one flick of the wrist.
ElementOfZero  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what a double stroke roll is, and there's no part of Freak on A Leash that even suggests to use it. Hence the confusion. edit: I don't see any yellow roll in Toxicity at all :\ (Which means even on a RB kit it isn't there)

edit 2:
Unless you're talking about the ghost snares which is the only thing I can see that are shared in those songs. In which case hit the yellows earlier than normal and with your left hand do what g0dly described.

The Choice Is Yours, And Yours Alone. Silver Snakes 4 Life
My Accomplishment Thread! My Youtube, New Videos posted often
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: v Reincarnate v
knightmetallica3  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a good example is the all nightmare long drum roll
red red blue blue red red green green red red blue blue red red green green green
I hit the with a LL RR LL RR LL RR LL LRL
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: knightrocker33
GigaWattStorm  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've been drumming for 8 years now so i've gotten quite proficient with single stroke rolls. But, I have to go with G0dly on this one. He expains it quite well for beginners to understand. but when you get better with drums you will be able to get faster without the the use of double stroke rolls.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: