ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
My idea for a music-based MMORPG.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
orimarc  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: My idea for a music-based MMORPG. Reply with quote

Some time ago, I posted in another forum this:
(note: some parts could change for improvement)

Quote:

My MMO would be “MMROCKPG” and would be about being a rock musician.

You could start as a singer, guitarist, bassist, drummer or keyboardist.

You level up by doing practice in your home. You could learn skills like tapping (guitar), falsetto (vox), irregular beats (drums)...

To fight, you attack doing riffs and solos and full songs (For example: Level 1 guitar attack could be Smoke on the Water riff, Level 100 guitar attack could be Green Grass and High Tides full song)

Instead of weapons you could buy/get better instruments and bigger amps, and to go faster you could buy buses and jets.

You could join another instrument players and make virtual bands, which could fight against virtual representations of real bands. (Final boss could be Dream Theater, for example.)

Do you think it's a good idea? (BTW, I know the name sucks.)
joekickass1234  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would the gameplay be like an WoW or Runescape, or like a rythm game? To be honest I would not play it. The two things are great seperate, but mixing them would be like mixing ketchup and ice cream.

3926 0220 0199 1364
Shift  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An MMO wherein you level by going into practice/quickplay, and fights are score duels/pro-faceoffs? Sounds interesting to say the least, but I think it's going to need some tweaking. As far as mixing rhythm games and RPGs, I'm all for it. Two of my favorite RPGs (Super Mario RPG, Legend of Dragoon) have a timed hit system. Pushing a timed hit system into a rhythm game seems like it could be really fun.

As far as a name goes, the best thing I can think of is "Suonare," (pronounced "swoh-NAH-ray") which is Italian for "to play an instrument."

Good luck! ^_^

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post has been deleted.
TSorbera  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/wrath/features/bard/bardclass.xml

Edit: BTW this was an April Fools joke, not a real planned class for WoW.
GHTCP (Guitar Hero Three Control Panel) - for all your GH3 PC needs*
*not quite all needs, but for custom songs, custom game images, black background speed boost, and more

Last edited by TSorbera on Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
joekickass1234  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TSorbera wrote:

thats really funny.

3926 0220 0199 1364
GuardianDemon  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TSorbera wrote:

Edit: BTW this was an April Fools joke, not a real planned class for WoW.

LOL , it looks soooo real though !!!! would be awesome as an optional expansion pack !!!
JediSasquatch  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever since I started playing Guitar Hero I thought about how you could make an RPG-rhythm game. However, I don't think there'd be a good way to do it.

Rock games (Guitar Hero, Rock Band) are based on your ability to hit the notes, while RPGs are based on your strategies and your level. I don't think you'd be able to factor elements of both genres into one game, and if you did, I don't think it would be very successful at all.

"Fear is your only God on the radio."
-Rage Against The Machine
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Jedi Sasquatch
youhas  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediSasquatch wrote:
Ever since I started playing Guitar Hero I thought about how you could make an RPG-rhythm game. However, I don't think there'd be a good way to do it.

Rock games (Guitar Hero, Rock Band) are based on your ability to hit the notes, while RPGs are based on your strategies and your level. I don't think you'd be able to factor elements of both genres into one game, and if you did, I don't think it would be very successful at all.

The closest I've been able to come up with would be something like the World Tour mode of Rock Band on super-steroids. Take all of those gameplay elements (earning vehicles! touring at clubs! specific themed setlists!) and crank them all up to 11, almost like you were playing a Sim game, or as the Owner mode of a baseball game - something like that.

"Where should you go on tour next? Do you want to play with another gig in your hometown? It's cheap and easy to get to, you get good turnout, your friend Chuck The Sound Guy will work for free... but if you play too much locally, folks will start to tire of you. So maybe it's time for a Colleges Of The Southwest tour instead! With expenses, you barely break even... but it does give you a chance to expand your fan base. Although your manager ends up setting you up in lame places from time to time, where you have to play all-country or all-emo set lists. And you know that Dickerson College is a real tough crowd - missed notes make your rock meter drop three times as fast there, and if you fail a song in the setlist, you don't get paid for nothin'.

"Your bassist having a girlfriend is good, because she's a total fangirl and happily runs your merch tables for you... but she always demands to go on the road with you, and makes your drummer get laid with random groupies way less often. Which is not great: if your drummer doesn't get laid, he gets all uptight, which means that when he fails a song, he starts a big ol' bar brawl, which costs the band tons of cash. You could always make the bassist break up with the girlfriend - though then he's gonna be super-depressed for the next three weeks, unable to make it to practice, so the timing window on his notes will be super-tight...."

And so on and so forth. You're definitely role playing, and there are definitely strategic elements involved in accomplishing your goals. And there's a lot of leeway in how you "class" your band: you can attempt to be an indie band with tons of artistic cred and a crazy-rabid following, or build yourself towards being the next commercially successful (but forgotten the moment you stop touring) band ever designed, or anything in between. On the other hand, there aren't a lot of opportunities for "battling", per se, against either other players or any sort of explicit bad guys. It's not much of an RPG in the classical sense... but it's the best I've been able to do.

Either way, I'd imagine that such a game would have a small, emphatically dedicated following amongst folks who found it to be The Best Idea Ever... and a whole lot of people in the "meh, why would I want to bother with all that?" camp. So I'm not holding my breath on seeing something like it come to market anytime soon. (Sigh.)

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
Xtresso  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe they already have a game where you practice in your home to level up, battle other bands, and get people in your band. It`s on the iphone, and I believe its called Rock Star or something. It has no actual rhythm game element to it but there is a game like that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be okay. As long as when you riff the guitar hero gameplay comes up and the charts are good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Other Music Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: