Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
So, calling all musicians...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lasfas  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Have made a lot of songs with GarageBand (The "Mac" FLStudio)

Here they are:
Trials and Tribulations
The
Nice Pants...
Marx

I made two others, but never posted a video for them, Also, the in game effects ruin some epic parts of my songs. =(

What do you think of them?
ChimpyDolittle  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasfas wrote:

Here they are:
Trials and Tribulations
The
Nice Pants...
Marx

I made two others, but never posted a video for them, Also, the in game effects ruin some epic parts of my songs. =(

"The" is a pretty neat little idea for a metal song, and I have to say that I like Marx too.

When it comes to "Trials" and "Nice Pants..." I really like the slower parts and thought that the overall sound of the songs are awesome. I can't pick a favorite between the two. You need to keep this up, man!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Adobe Audition for my recording. It's several tiers above FL studio and it costs a bit, but not when you have family members that work for Microsoft! My band doesn't really record, but last Christmas we did make a few recordings viewable at our totally awesome server-crashing website.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Vampyromaniac  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChimpyDolittle wrote:
Vampyromaniac wrote:
Thanks, man! Curiously enough, Illogical Progression was my least favorite of the songs i've uploaded so far... it has an epic outro though . I like that it's proggy though... all of my songs sound like they were made by someone with ADD.

I personally like the fact that it's proggy and jumpy. Most of my songs end up being rather formulaic and based on patterns, so it's really cool to hear a really good example of the opposite

Speaking of which, what kind of music inspired you guys into making music like this?

Music I draw inspiration from would be probably progressive, melodic death metal, and classical, though I like to think that at times i draw from pretty much any style. Whenever I play a REAL instrument (I have a keyboard and a guitar) I just improvise 99% of the time, although i have used some riffs i developed while improvising in my guitar pro songs. While improvising I play pretty much anything, including stuff like blues or jazz, even though I would normally never listen to jazz music. Aside from country and jazz though (a couple artists excluded, such as johnny cash), i occasionally listen to every type of music. Most of my library though is metal.
I rarely listen to prog metal (I do love my Dream Theater though), but what I do listen to of it I probably draw a lot of inspiration from because I believe it has the most POTENTIAL of any musical genre, since it has no real limitations.
As for classical, I like it for the same reason... it has fewer limitations. 99% of the music we hear today is created by only a few musicians and uses only a few instruments. Most bands have a singer, 1-2 guitarists, a bassisit, a drummer, a keyboardist if you're lucky, and one other person if you're extremely lucky. Classical music on the other hand, had at it's disposal entire orchestras composed of hundreds of people, sometimes all playing simultaneously, although many are playing the same thing, all to create the specific sound and mood that that song is trying to convey.
Say theoretically, that there is a perfect song, which has of course not yet been created. Not everyone would like it, since everyone has different tastes, but it would be the song that more people thought was the greatest song ever than any other song could ever achieve, basically the best song overall. Well, sure it might be a song written entirely in 4/4 time played by 4 good musicians. But it also might not... I feel like the more we explore new ideas the closer we might become to finding some masterpiece hidden in the plethora of possible audio sequences available to us.
On the other hand... the PROBLEM with this idea is that progressive bands often try so hard to create something that is DIFFERENT that they end up making music that is less aesthetically appealing than it could have otherwise been. 4/4 is standard time for a reason... there are masterpieces written in other time signatures but it's more common to find one in 4/4. And the more tracks you add to a song the more chances you have to add one that will in some way degrade the song overall, even if it's in some slight way that perhaps will never be noticed. You might, for example, have a song that plays 5 tracks simultaneously, and you add track 6. It now sounds better than it did. You then add track 7, and you keep track 7 because it sounds better than with 1-6. but maybe it would sound even better with tracks 1-5 and track 7, but without 6. It's extremely easy to overlook something like that... and eventually the person creating the song has to make those kind of decisions wisely, otherwise his song could end up being a poor shadow of what it could have been. You might hear what you think is the greatest song ever, but you have no way of knowing whether it would sound 1% better if one of your diminished E chords had been a C instead.
It is because of those reasons that I am constantly making changes to my songs, always trying new things to try to improve them. And there's only so much each song can be improved, but still, as an artist you should try to make any masterpiece as masterful as you can. Illogical progression, for example, didn't originally have that single measure guitar riff that it plays once immediately before the galloping outro and right before the very end of the song, nor did it have the bells that also signify that same outro... Although in my opinion those are what really makes the outro epic, and it kind of leaves a good taste in your mouth for the song overall. If you hear a song and you're pleased with the end of it, you might be more inclined to remember it as a good song, and also more inclined to hear it again... although if you weren't too fond of the first half of the song you'd likely realize that upon your second time hearing it.
Another thing you may notice about my songs is they are very short... they average about a minute and a half and the longest one I've made thus far is around two and a half minutes. It's not because I prefer shorter songs, it's because I want to condense them to a state where any inferior parts of the song are removed. How many songs do you have in your library where you sit through an aggravating verse just to hear an epic chorus (metalcore, in particular, is often very bad about this). I for one have a ludicrous number of songs in my library that I keep just because of a single powerful or beautiful riff... which in my case would often be a breakdown or guitar solo. The song "Before the Damned" by All that Remains is one of my favorite songs, and the reason is not because any one part of it is amazing, but simply because no part of it is weak... It has an intro that immediately sets the mood, a good verse (which, as I've said, is rare in metalcore), a good chorus, one more quick good verse and chorus, and then what starts off as a heavier version of the intro which progresses into a guitar solo, followed by the chorus again and an outro which is, again, basically a heavier version of the intro. The entire song is less than 3 minutes. By contrast, the song "Stabbing the Drama" by Soilwork has an even MORE amazing intro and chorus, but you have to sit through a verse that sompletely sucks (In my opinion anywayz) to hear it. The chorus is so amazing I know people who despise metal that enjoy it...
Stabbing the Drama, if you're interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOzCx-3h-jo
...and on that note there are times when good music is just good music... certain parts of certain songs that are so great, 99% of people will love it, regardless of their musical preferences. I think it is that fact that should drive us as musicians to one day create as close to a perfect song as we can. Honestly, if you make a song and love one part but you kind of "meh" about another part... keep working on it until you love the entire song... Then you will love it all the more because the entire song will be great to you... It would obviously be too picky to say that a great musician is someone who can create a nearly perfect song, but a great musician SHOULD be someone who can create something that is one of their own personal favorite songs, because he should be able to recognize which things in music he likes and which he doesn't, and create something from those ideals... one challenge is being able to imitate the feel of songs that you love without any plagiarism.
On the subject of only using what you love, I'm sick of mainstream bands that put out albums with 2 great songs and 12 shit ones. That is just selling out... you'll notice local bands USUALLY have a bunch of songs that are around the same quality, while a lot of famous bands have the 10% great 90% shit syndrome.
The place where I feel that my music is lacking the most is the fact that I rely on shitty synths to create 100% of my sound. I LOVE synth in songs, as much as I love guitar, and even more than I love vocals. But, by itself, it's not enough to create the kinds of moods I would like to. The greatest dream would be to have a program that could emulate perfectly the sounds of REAL instruments, with expressive notes, and all the ways that a real musician can play a song that a program just can't. Of course that would put economic stress on a lot of musicians . But one can always dream, right? Cuz I for one don't have the money to hire an orchestra full of musicians as talented as Buckethead or Jordan Rudess. But one can always dream.
Apologies for the wall of text ^_^. I saw that you were checking your thread often and engaging in meaningful conversation with pretty much everyone who replied and I got a bit carried away.
ChimpyDolittle  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vampyromaniac wrote:
Apologies for the wall of text ^_^. I saw that you were checking your thread often and engaging in meaningful conversation with pretty much everyone who replied and I got a bit carried away.

THAT is not a problem sir, I was hoping to get a lot more discussion out of this thread, and you just happened to be the supplier.

Vampyromaniac wrote:
a great musician SHOULD be someone who can create something that is one of their own personal favorite songs, because he should be able to recognize which things in music he likes and which he doesn't, and create something from those ideals...

This is something I've lived by as a musician for a long time but haven't been able to express. I kept comparing it to those bad Sci-Fi Channel movies: Why in the world do people go through the effort to make these movies if they don't honestly think that it will be the next "Halloween" or "Star Wars" or something?

And the thing about creating your music with nothing but synth parts... I personally like electronic music a lot. To me, it can either have a really simplistic feel or it can be so dense that it can make you feel as if you're being crushed. But nothing really beats the good ol' rock and roll instruments. Real guitar is not something you can synthesize easily, or even at all sometimes for sure... And if that's what you aspire towards, I say the more power to you.

As far as your inspiration, I can say that I share the passion for the potential for prog-metal type stuff. I personally don't get into a whole lot of it, but I do enjoy how some bands layer the sounds to create beautiful landscapes of texture and color in your mind (DISILLUSION DISILLUSION DISILLUSION) and I one day hope to accomplish something like that in some sort of genre of music. If I can create one song that almost everyone likes, then I will die a very happy man.

As for my other inspirations, I said I liked electronic music, and what I mean by that really is like breakbeat music (Aphex Twin) and like Chiptune music (Sabrepulse)... I really don't know what it is about this music, but I like it a LOT. As far as other genres go... I really like metal (Think Dying Fetus or Born Of Osiris); I like indie music (like mewithoutYou and DeVotchKa); and just because of where I grew up, I like bluegrass a lot. I've yet to incorporate bluegrass into a song, but I'll get there.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasfas wrote:

Here they are:
Trials and Tribulations
The
Nice Pants...
Marx

Trials and Nice Pants have really good soft parts, as chimpy mentioned, also props for the whose line references, although I think it may have been a bit better if they had only been in the intro and outro of the song. The other two were also pretty good. I can't remember which ones, except Marx definately was, but I got the feeling in a few of your songs they would sound really epic played on real guitar instead of with synths. In a couple places though the elctronic sound was really cool, like in Trials (I think) when one of the soft riffs repeated but at a double-speed pace, it became more intricate but stayed just as pretty as the riff before it, that was a really great part, that stood out in particular to me.

To Chimpy: I've been checking out some of the music you've been talking about... currently listening to "Back to times of splendor" and it is AMAZING. Really need to thank you for motivating me to check out that group. Also, the music on your Myspace is not bad, but it is extremely intriguing. Every song I listen to there gives me the feeling that you're gonna create a song one of these days that will be one I really really love. Let me know whenever you add new songs and I'll check them out. On the note of bluegrass, I do actually enjoy bluegrass despite my dislike of country in general, because of the intricacy of most bluegrass songs. And a lot of them have an improvised sound, which is also a good thing. Also I realize I kinda sounded like an idealist in my wall of text post... that wasn't the intention Another thing I'd like to point out is despite my talk of editing out boring parts of songs, many of my favorite songs are really long ones... dream theater, opeth, occasionally BTBAM, and now disillusion (coincidentally, pretty much the only prog-metal bands I like even a little bit) are all great at balancing the flow of uncommonly long songs, and a long mellow part of a song makes an eventual crescendo all the more powerful. I'll get back ton you when I check out the other groups that you mentioned as well as the ones in your sig.
Lasfas  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the kind words!

Vampyromaniac wrote:

In a couple places though the electronic sound was really cool, like in Trials (I think) when one of the soft riffs repeated but at a double-speed pace, it became more intricate but stayed just as pretty as the riff before it, that was a really great part, that stood out in particular to me.

That riff was in "Nice Pants...", I wanted to add some intensity to the song, without altering the tempo, so double time was the way to go! I combined double time with a (very) Reflective guitar to add some depth to the part.

When I make songs, I mess around with all my instrument settings so they sound as realistic as possible!

=D
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vampy: Leonardo da Vinci: "I would venture to affirm that a man cannot attain excellence if he satisfy the ignorant and not those of his own craft, and if he be not "singular" or "distant," or whatever you like to call him." This quote used to be in my signature. I think it's relevant to what you were saying.
Yewb  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit, you guys are making me want to get back into learning an instrument If I was going to learn an instrument I'd want to learn drums, but I don't have the time or space.

So I guess it's just lyrics for me, for now. I'm using FLStudio to create a few basic drum loops, then I'll probably enlist the help of my housemate to dust her (or my) guitar off and come up with a riff or three. From there it's plainish sailing.

I did once (twice) try to create backing music by sampling various riffs from songs in RB. It worked better that I expected, but it's hardly professional, and takes a LONG time

Eastwinn wrote:

Vampy: Leonardo da Vinci: "I would venture to affirm that a man cannot attain excellence if he satisfy the ignorant and not those of his own craft, and if he be not "singular" or "distant," or whatever you like to call him." This quote used to be in my signature. I think it's relevant to what you were saying.

I loved that quote. It's relevant to every budding artist with anything to offer, in my opinion.
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
ChimpyDolittle  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vampyromaniac wrote:
To Chimpy: I've been checking out some of the music you've been talking about... currently listening to "Back to times of splendor" and it is AMAZING. Really need to thank you for motivating me to check out that group. Also, the music on your Myspace is not bad, but it is extremely intriguing. Every song I listen to there gives me the feeling that you're gonna create a song one of these days that will be one I really really love. Let me know whenever you add new songs and I'll check them out.

YES! I finally got someone to seriously give Disillusion a listen! "Back To Times Of Splendor" is really the most amazing album I've ever heard. If it hit you the same way it hit me, then you'll never think of progressive metal the same way again.

And thank you for your thoughts on my music I really hope one day I can come up with at least one song that I'm really happy about and that other people really like.

Yewb wrote:
So I guess it's just lyrics for me, for now. I'm using FLStudio to create a few basic drum loops, then I'll probably enlist the help of my housemate to dust her (or my) guitar off and come up with a riff or three. From there it's plainish sailing.

I did once (twice) try to create backing music by sampling various riffs from songs in RB. It worked better that I expected, but it's hardly professional, and takes a LONG time

That's pretty much how I started out. Doing a few covers of songs will help you get familiar with some of the stuff.

And I'd be interested in hearing what came of that RB song

Eastwinn wrote:

Hmmm...that's EXACTLY what we were talking about...and Da Vinci was only around 500 years too late...

Romanczuk wrote:
I use Adobe Audition for my recording. It's several tiers above FL studio and it costs a bit, but not when you have family members that work for Microsoft! My band doesn't really record, but last Christmas we did make a few recordings viewable at our totally awesome server-crashing website.

Dead Baby On Board is pretty amazing I have to say. I really like the overall feel of it. It kind of reminds me of Blue Oyster Cult for some reason.

Molasses Disaster was just weird. But I liked it!

I really, really liked Optimistic Pizza. The cool feel and jamminess (word?) made it a really awesome listen.

Tendinitis Vista was pretty good. Sounded like Primus a bit.

And for only being a very short piece, Bob is amazingly beautiful and intricate sounding.

I have to ask you which of the instruments in these songs were real and not synthed?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eastwinn wrote:

Definately. That is a damn good quote, as is the one you currently have in your sig, which I think is also relevant. The new one reminds me of how most people hate vocals that are not clean at first but grow used to them and eventually like them the more they listen to metal... people have talked about that a lot in the metal threads. It relates a lot to progressive music too, largely because many people get bored with what they initially like. Sometimes their tastes get so altered that they end up taking things to extremes that they normally would not have even liked in the first place. I think that happened to Meshuggah.

Romanczuk: I listened to Dead Baby on Board and I definately like the variations throughout it. It kinda had the ADD feel to it that I enjoy. I'll get back to you on the others when I've heard them.

Chimpy: I checked out the other bands in your sig... mewithout you I did not enjoy at first but by the end of the song I had the opinion that it was pretty good... the guitar riffs in it were really nice, in particular. (uhmm I actually don't remember what song i listened to though, it was a few hours ago before I went to bed for the night >.>) O'Death had me laughing at the vocals at first, but again, by the end of the song I was really impressed.
Now as for Born of Osiris. I checked out the song Bow Down, and I was really impressed until about 1:00 into the song... then I was completely blown away. I listened to 1:00 to 1:45 over and over until I could drum on my computer desk along with the drums/guitar bursts on time XD. I ended up checking out every song by that band thus far and I like almost all of it... which is srange because normally similar music I don't caremuch for. Take a similar but more talented band, for example: The Faceless. By listening you can tell that the faceless is a better band overall, in my opinion... but to me the faceless isn't great, and born of osiris is. BoO strips the music down to the core elements of it that I enjoy... the quick bursts of guitar and drums, synth effects, and sometimes a bit of guitar effects to make things more interesting, all with vocals that don't detract from the music, as is usually the case with similar music. If I listen to something like suicide silence I am almost instantly repulsed by annoying high pitched shrieking and such. With BoO I pretty much never even pay attention to the vocalist except in a few cases where it's really epic (FUCKING BOW DOWN!!!). And as I mentioned before, the synth effects they use... that's the main reason I listen to the melodeath genre, and it's the thing that makes dream theater stand out so much... cuz without that i think they'd just be a pretty good band with an talented guitarist. Anywayz BoO is now one of my favorite bands.
I also checked out Aphex Twin that you mentioned... more specifically the track Come to Daddy... and it was incredible... especially how the video coincided perfectly with the music. The two together created an exact feel, it was wonderful.
Sabrepulse... the first song I heard by them had good nerdy synth effects, but I was turned off by the vocals... luckily I checked out "A girl I know" which is instrumental, and it was amazing stuff. The music you've been recommending is really great, far above par of what anyone's recommended me before.
Devotchka... overall i didn't like it. The singing kinda bothered me but the background music was nice, it sounded more like the kind of stuff I would listen to with my girlfriend than on my own time though, she reallylikes mellow stuff, and because of her personality, she kind of puts other people in that mood too. There's been more than one occasion where I was we were riding around somewhere and I wondered why i had never made a beach boys CD to listen to in my car. Then I would drop her off that night and wonder why the fuck I wanted a beach boys CD.
Dying Fetus... I listened to "Homicidal retribution"... didn't like it I'm probably the only metal head in the world who isn't a fan of blast beats... (although ridiculously fast double bass is one of my favorite elements of any metal song.. check out 2:30 and after of the track "daemon" by whitechapel... holy hell). Later in the song I heard some parts I would have really enjoyed, but for some reason the tone of their bass drum didn't appeal to me, which is unusual.

On another note, there is a whole thread to this album already, but if anyone has the Great Misdirect by BTBAM, skip to about 3:40 on the track Disease, Injury, Madness and there is a synth effect that moves from high to low as it moves from left to right, creating a sort of dopplar effect... anywayz it stood out to me because as soon as I heard it I had the exact mental image of a shooting star. It even sounds white (the color not the race ). It creates that image perhaps as flawlessly as any mental image I've ever gotten from music... I even showed it to my mom and she thought the same thing, about the star.
On the topic of that CD, which I should probably be discussing in the aforementioned other thread, I was very impressed by both the tracjk I just mentioned and obsfuscation, because both are tracks that jump between styles every minute and a half or so, despite being around 10 minutes or so in length, but unlike similar songs, 50% of the riffs they use are not shitty filler sounding riffs, I thought. They convey a mood, then they switch to another mood.

EDIT: I love how this is turning into a music discussion and reccomendation thread, it's like the metal thread without the arguing about what should be talked about and what shouldn't, and without 90% of the replies going unread, and without being limited just to metal, I love it.
Romanczuk  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChimpyDolittle wrote:
Romanczuk wrote:

Dead Baby On Board is pretty amazing I have to say. I really like the overall feel of it. It kind of reminds me of Blue Oyster Cult for some reason.

Molasses Disaster was just weird. But I liked it!

I really, really liked Optimistic Pizza. The cool feel and jamminess (word?) made it a really awesome listen.

Tendinitis Vista was pretty good. Sounded like Primus a bit.

And for only being a very short piece, Bob is amazingly beautiful and intricate sounding.

I have to ask you which of the instruments in these songs were real and not synthed?

Thanks you're the first person to really like my music. That means a lot to me and my bandmates. Most people just think it's weird.
None of the instruments are synthed, they're all real. Well, unless you count the single synthesizer note near the beginning of Dead Baby on Board. Molasses Disaster is weird because we tried being serious but it just sounded really cheesy so we went for humor. We chose the Molasses Disaster because it's the only disaster that hasn't already had a song written about it. We visited the site of the disaster and there's just a super-tiny plaque stuck in a rock. Tsk, no respect for those lost.

Optimistic Pizza was written in one sitting when I was writing a the bass riff and needed a name and the side of a box of goldfish crackers said "optimistic pizza" on it for some reason.
Tendinitis Vista was Primus-inspired. But the recording guy kept pressuring us to play it faster and faster and the end result is too sloppy for my liking and is missing LOTS of the features an earlier version had.
Bob was written by our guitarist when he was learning finger picking. We named it Bob after our friend who lets us use his industrial laser to cut out and engrave weird guitar bodies.
Edit: The molasses disaster page also goes through to a page about something called the london beer flood. I read it and literally lol'd when one of the victims died the next day from alcohol poisoning.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
ChimpyDolittle  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vampyromaniac wrote:
mewithout you I did not enjoy at first but by the end of the song I had the opinion that it was pretty good... the guitar riffs in it were really nice, in particular. (uhmm I actually don't remember what song i listened to though, it was a few hours ago before I went to bed for the night >.>)

Yes, mewithoutYou is a really weird style to just stumble upon, or have recommended to you with no idea of what you'll encounter I didn't like them at first either, but they've grown into one of my favorite bands of all time. The drummer especially has a really awesome style that is all his own. He's really not incredibly technical, but he's really creative and fills out the sound very well.
(If you like them, check out Neutral Milk Hotel as well )

Vampyromaniac wrote:
O'Death had me laughing at the vocals at first, but again, by the end of the song I was really impressed.

I saw that these guys were playing at a Les Claypool show a while back (I ended up going ) and so I looked into them and was going to see if it would be worth getting there early enough to see them as well... I pretty much went to the show more excited about O'Death than Claypool! "Blackgrass" in it's fastest, most aggressive form and I love it!

Vampyromaniac wrote:
Now as for Born of Osiris. I checked out the song Bow Down, and I was really impressed until about 1:00 into the song... then I was completely blown away...Anywayz BoO is now one of my favorite bands.

I don't know if I agree with the fact that The Faceless is a better band... I mean, every member is amazing, but I really like all of the members of BoO's style a lot better. The drummer for this band once again has such an amazing ability to fill out the songs well that I have to say he's the reason I like the band as much as I do. And yes, the synth lines that these guys come up with are tasty.
(Check out Veil Of Maya as well)

Vampyromaniac wrote:
I also checked out Aphex Twin that you mentioned... more specifically the track Come to Daddy... and it was incredible... especially how the video coincided perfectly with the music. The two together created an exact feel, it was wonderful.

If you read up on this guy even a little bit, you'll realize that he is not only a very competent composer of his music, he's also a tech-genius. "Towards the end of the second track of the "Windowlicker" single (commonly referred to as "Equation") a photo of James's (Aphex Twin's) face is revealed when run through spectral analysis." I rest my case
The only thing I don't like about him is that his albums are usually really horribly planned. You're better off getting single tracks from him because the tracks on any given album almost have nothing to do with one another in sound or substance.
(If you like him, also check out Venetian Snares)

Vampyromaniac wrote:
Sabrepulse... the first song I heard by them had good nerdy synth effects, but I was turned off by the vocals... luckily I checked out "A girl I know" which is instrumental, and it was amazing stuff.

Yeah, not a lot of his stuff has vocals other than samples, and I haven't even really been a fan for long, so we can explore his library together!

Vampyromaniac wrote:
Devotchka... overall i didn't like it. The singing kinda bothered me but the background music was nice

If you don't like it, then you don't like it, but I'd suggest checking out at least a handful of their songs, since they cover a lot of ground. Some of it sounds like Gypsy music, some of it is very southwestern styled, and some of it is just super epic string-driven music. Amazing band.

Vampyromaniac wrote:
Dying Fetus... I listened to "Homicidal retribution"... didn't like it I'm probably the only metal head in the world who isn't a fan of blast beats... (although ridiculously fast double bass is one of my favorite elements of any metal song.. check out 2:30 and after of the track "daemon" by whitechapel... holy hell). Later in the song I heard some parts I would have really enjoyed, but for some reason the tone of their bass drum didn't appeal to me, which is unusual.

As soon as I heard the guy's vocals, I was hooked. They are a really talented bunch of guys, and the kick drum is one thing I really liked as well, but I can see how it doesn't appeal a lot of the time.

Also, Romanczuk, you sound like you have similar song-writing methods to myself...
The guys you recorded those songs with are really good too, and I'm glad I could offer some positive feedback since you guys really deserve it

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, this thread! I figured I'd revive this because I just got the FL Studio demo and need to ask an important question: which version should I buy? I'm sure as hell not going with Express cause that doesn't have piano roll, but I might go for Producer cause it has the audio recording. Fruity's like right in the middle I looked at the version-comparison chart on the website, but it didn't help cause I didn't know how half the stuff applied and I thought I'd be better off asking here with people who have experience.

My Accomplishments - GH | RB || My Youtube Channel || My Customs
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: YksiKaksiKolme
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: