Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
National Novel Writing Month 2009!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
youhas  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: National Novel Writing Month 2009! Reply with quote

Well, looks like it's just about that time again: November is fast-approaching, and with it, National Novel Writing Month! The goal of which is to write an entire 50,000-word novel during the month of November. (Yes, 50,000 words is sort of on the short side for a novel. No, your prose won't be anywhere near polished at month's end. This is not National Good Novel Writing Month, after all. )

This is my ninth go-around at doing this. Been 8-for-8 at successfully getting to the 50K mark in previous years, though (a) it's really come down to the wire at least a couple of times and (b) I think I've only actually had the story concluded by the 50K word mark twice during that span. (Including, famously, the detective story where I hit the 50K mark, promptly killed off the protagonist, and we never did get to learn who committed the murder. Awesome!) This year, I'm going for a superhero story based in a world where superheroics are organized in roughly the same manner as professional sports are (corporate naming rights, territorial considerations, free agency, etc.), primarily following a group of minor leaguers hoping for their call up to service. Mystery Men meets Bull Durham!

Anyhow: anybody else on ScoreHero taking part in NaNoWriMo this year?

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
ManfredvonKarma  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the e-mail reminder last night.

I definitely want to participate, but November is an awful month for me. I have three research papers to be writing. Getting almost 1700 words per day down is insanely difficult with that load of other obligations.

I suppose I'll put forth an attempt, though.

I'll try to have an idea by the end of the night.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I intended to do this last year after completely failing the previous year, but didn't - lucky, really, since I had deadlines to meet and then my grandma passed away so I had to deal with all of that nonsense. This year, however... I have no more grandparents waiting to pop their clogs and only one report to write rather than the three that I had this time last year. I mean, sure, there's two due in December instead, but I've always been good at bullshitting my way through essays at the last minute. I do have other things to be doing, a weekly neuroscience presentation foremost among them, but nothing that I couldn't catch up on later...

The big problem, as always, would be disciplining myself to sit down and do it. A great example being my own site - I've been in the process of relaunching for nearly a month now, when all it would really take is to sit down and write a couple of album reviews. Somehow, it always gets forgotten.

But, y'know what? I'm gonna give it a go. Even though I'll most likely be waking up some time around the evening of November 1st with a motherfucker of a hangover. I still have the vague idea for a plot that's been boiling away for two years now and I think it'd be a shame not to use it. Even after this long I'm still not sure how the hell I'm going to make that stretch to 50,000 words but, well, see above comment about being good at bullshitting.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
reikonkeiri  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd year in a row that I've wanted to do this and the 3rd year in a row that I'm completely unmotivated. *SIGH* I honestly love writing, but I love doing nothing even more. Sucks, I wish all you guys doing this the best of luck, though!
freakinalex  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every year I always consider doing it, then forget about it and never end up doing it.

This year, I'm probably not gonna even think about it, as I have to write 2 short zombie films, plus write something for experimental theatre this month.

I swear I'll actually attempt it one of these years.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If self-discipline is an issue, I cannot recommend strongly enough traipsing through the NaNoWriMo forums, finding some local people who are also participating, and attending some write-ins. If nothing else, it's nice to have people around who are under the same duress and to sympathize with; bonus points if they're folks you can bounce ideas off of, or use as subplot-spawning assistants, or engage in "OK, let's see who gets more word count during the next ten minutes!" mini-games, or what have you. Even the half-assed approached of putting up an "I will be in the following public location writing for the next N hours; feel free to come join me" works at times.

If time is an issue... well, there are fewer cool workarounds for that. But hey, if the research papers are being written during November, what the hell, just copy-and-paste them into your novel! Possibly by using the thinnest possible veneer of a transition! ("What's this?" said Duncan. "There's writing on that screen there!" The screen read as follows: [paper goes here] "Huh," said Duncan. "Sure.") I once had fully 25K of my novel as blog posts I welded on at the last minute; the segue was ~60 words long and involved a magical talking goat. Good times!

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
Wyatt965  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an awesome idea based on a couple of my dreams this week. Real apocalyptic stuff, moon crashing down etc. Will try as hard as I can to do this.
[08:17pm] [12:54] <Angels2002> lol luk at me spin dis black circle around
[12:54] <Angels2002> hip hop!
GuitarZero132  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reikonkeiri wrote:
3rd year in a row that I've wanted to do this and the 3rd year in a row that I'm completely unmotivated. *SIGH* I honestly love writing, but I love doing nothing even more. Sucks, I wish all you guys doing this the best of luck, though!

Pretty much anything I would have to say about this is summed up in this post. I want to participate, I really do, it's just I have no motivation whatsoever to do it. The only two possible plots I could have would be about a kid who starts a band and they get internationally famous, or an overly dramatized account of a high school boy who has to deal with all that teenage bullshit nobody really cares about. The second one I actually could write about, since I have some vague idea of what it's like, but I'd want to do the first one more. I guess I'll think about what to do while I snack on the candy I'm supposed to be giving out tomorrow night >___>

I just hope that if I decide to do this, it doesn't end like all my other attempts at writing stories have. They all crashed and burned after the first few pages.

Edit:

GuitarZero132 (9:02:26 PM): Oh holy crap it's almost National Novel Writing Month
GuitarZero132 (9:02:45 PM): Quick, write 50,000 words.
Friend (9:03:01 PM): Time to write that judas priests slash fiction you've always dreamt of.
GuitarZero132 (9:03:06 PM): Uh

That doesn't sound like a bad idea at all

Last edited by GuitarZero132 on Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:07 am; edited 1 time in total
sorasgoof  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe that with my literary background, I've never heard of this. How long has this been going on?

I'll see what I can do. The IB program is extraordinarily demanding these days, so I don't know if I'll have time. That seems to be the problem with most people, though, right?

Check out my Youtube channel!
We have a Dead Space 2 Hardcore run coming out very shortly, an ongoing Portal Let's Play, an ongoing Super Mario RPG Let's Play, AND a Max Payne Let's Play in the works. Be a hipster! Follow Full Grown Gaming before most people do!
FlimFlam  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been waiting for the annual youhas NaNoWriMo topic. I might participate once I begin college; I've got college applications to do this year.

And when I do write it, I plan on expanding a story I wrote for English yesterday about three classmates who have a rap group. My story followed them through the Middle Ages, but I would just expand it to follow them through history. They're hilarious kids, so writing about them is hilarious too.

\m/
Twang  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aw shit. I've been wanting to write some sort of book since mid summer, and it seems I may actually have the time to do so this month. Definitely something I want to do, but don't know if I will.

Question: does it all have to be one cohesive story, or could it be a series of short stories?
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: teamkillin629
sorasgoof  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twang wrote:
Question: does it all have to be one cohesive story, or could it be a series of short stories?

Read: A novel. When I think of a novel, I don't think of a collection of short stories. I'm sure you could ask them, but I think they want a cohesive novel, not a collection of short stories.

Check out my Youtube channel!
We have a Dead Space 2 Hardcore run coming out very shortly, an ongoing Portal Let's Play, an ongoing Super Mario RPG Let's Play, AND a Max Payne Let's Play in the works. Be a hipster! Follow Full Grown Gaming before most people do!
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorasgoof wrote:
I can't believe that with my literary background, I've never heard of this. How long has this been going on?

This is the 11th year, although the first two were small and hardly recognisable by today's standards.

Twang wrote:

The official FAQ, he say:

Quote:
We define a novel as "a lengthy work of fiction." Beyond that, we let you decide whether what you're writing falls under the heading of "novel." In short: If you believe you're writing a novel, we believe you're writing a novel too.

Actually it's probably worth throwing in a link to that at some point, so... http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/faq

For the record, mine is highly unlikely to be anything close to a cohesive story. I get distracted easily so it'll surely end up as a collection of offshoots and tangents roughly tied together by a vague idea of a hint of a plot. But then, as they say, just write. December is for editing. Or, editing is for December. Either way, what they're saying is don't worry if it's a load of crap. Again, to quote the official site:

Quote:
Make no mistake: You will be writing a lot of crap. And that's a good thing. By forcing yourself to write so intensely, you are giving yourself permission to make mistakes. To forgo the endless tweaking and editing and just create. To build without tearing down.

Also, I'm out drinking tonight and probably getting back around the midnight starting time, so my first few thousand words will be... interesting?

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
woozerkristen  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this back in 2004 or so but only made it about a week. I was thinking yesterday that I want to try it again now that I'm done with my coursework and don't have 2 to 3 20-page papers due during the month of November like I always used to. I've had several stories rattling around in my head for years and it's about time I made myself set one down. Here's to my staying healthy and not falling behind on my work-work so I can finish it this time.

Vocalist/Guitarist/Bassist for The PermaRockers | Vocalist/Bassist/Pather for Now-Retired Band Interrobang! | Interrobang! Full Band Vids/Solo Vox Vids on YouTube | Facebook | Twitter | Solo Accomplishments Thread
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: woozerkristen
Twang  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorasgoof wrote:
Twang wrote:

Read: A novel. When I think of a novel, I don't think of a collection of short stories. I'm sure you could ask them, but I think they want a cohesive novel, not a collection of short stories.

Ah, yes. I actually read in a thread at the forums that it could be short stories, but they had to be interlinked. The point is moot however, since I decided to just write one story anyway.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: teamkillin629
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: