Lou Reed/Metallica - First song released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anonymous_25  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post has been deleted.
JTHomeslice  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say this, the song is memorable. That's more than I can say about anything from Death Magnetic.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, the sample has been release like last week. and this should have never been released. seriously, what the fuck is that ! i have no idea who the hell is Lou Reed and it doesnt matter much. this blows big time. and im a huge metallica fan. so unless the album is totally different than the 30 sec sample, in which they probably choose the worst 30sec clip of all time as a tease for an upcoming album, well its gonna suck.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow .... That was so bad I can't even come up with the correct words to describe it.

My Youtube Channel CHECK OUT MY GUITAR COVERS!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: bwakvicious
Enchiridion  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to proceed with life pretending I never heard that. I think if I actually acknowledged it existed I'd become clinically insane.
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally I'd give this the benefit of the doubt, because I really like Metallica (I loved Death Magnetic, I can never understand the hate), but that was just awful. Throughout the song I kept thinking "who is this old guy and how did he get mixed up in Metallica of all bands?" Maybe the rambling will make more sense if the album has some context... so I won't write it off completely. But man, if this is the best song on the record, we're in trouble...

When stuff like this happens I always wonder if the band really thinks its good, or if they're making it due to some contracts or obligations via the record labels or something (because you're kidding yourself if you think there isn't a lot of politics with this stuff). I have a feeling they know it's a not good during the process but have their hands tied. I'd like to give artists I love more credit than that. However, at the same time, I can imagine the desire to do something different after 30 years would be overwhelming... even if it sucks, just to change it up a bit. Ah well. You can't win 'em all I suppose.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's certainly not because Metallica is tied down by the label. They actually left their label after Death Magnetic I believe and are basically in the wind right now. Want to know what Lars thinks of this album?

On the phone, a few days after Lulu is mastered, Ulrich describes listening to the album on a late-night car ride. "I was overwhelmed," he confesses. "I also felt, 'This is really unique.'" How unique? He laughs. "This makes... And Justice for All sound like the first Ramones album."

I could almost listen to Lulu if Reed wasn't rambling on and Lars isn't banging away on his cymbal throughout every song. If they change things up significantly, maybe the album won't be a total loss. I'm certainly not against Metallica doing something different, but so far after two tries at it (St. Anger being the first), they aren't very good at doing so lol
dragoninforcer  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope they didn’t release this because it was the best song......

Hopefully the rest will include, i don’t know....... SINGING.
cdylan13  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I heard this song and agreed with the consensus, good lord is it terrible, but then I wanted to listen back to Lou Reed's old stuff to put some context to it. Listening to the Velvet Underground stuff made sense with his style, and I would suggest you guys listen to a couple of those, however it reassures me that this song is just flat out bad in every way.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: cdylanSH
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely have to agree with you on this one dylan. My main complaint is with Ulrich who does nothing but ride on the crash cymbal for the entire song, which granted everyone does these days but as a drummer I still find to be the most annoying thing in the world cause it's like TYPING!!!! LIKE!!!!!!!!! THIS!!!!!!!!!! FOR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NO REASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just envision while recording this Ulrich said "dynamics and diversity? Fuck that I want it to be loud!" and yet another drummer weeps for modern metal drummers.
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably check out Reed's old stuff, cause I really only know of him through his song or two from Rock & Rule the movie.
JTHomeslice  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nubnut wrote:
I definitely have to agree with you on this one dylan. My main complaint is with Ulrich who does nothing but ride on the crash cymbal for the entire song, which granted everyone does these days but as a drummer I still find to be the most annoying thing in the world cause it's like TYPING!!!! LIKE!!!!!!!!! THIS!!!!!!!!!! FOR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NO REASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just envision while recording this Ulrich said "dynamics and diversity? Fuck that I want it to be loud!" and yet another drummer weeps for modern metal drummers.

Lars is a bad drummer, you don't say!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSH-Hitman wrote:
It's certainly not because Metallica is tied down by the label. They actually left their label after Death Magnetic I believe and are basically in the wind right now. Want to know what Lars thinks of this album?

On the phone, a few days after Lulu is mastered, Ulrich describes listening to the album on a late-night car ride. "I was overwhelmed," he confesses. "I also felt, 'This is really unique.'" How unique? He laughs. "This makes... And Justice for All sound like the first Ramones album."

I could almost listen to Lulu if Reed wasn't rambling on and Lars isn't banging away on his cymbal throughout every song. If they change things up significantly, maybe the album won't be a total loss. I'm certainly not against Metallica doing something different, but so far after two tries at it (St. Anger being the first), they aren't very good at doing so lol

Well, you can't blame somebody for trying to mentally justify the reasoning behind this. Also you'll notice in that Lars quote, he never calls it good, he just calls it unique, so that could mean multiple things, and honestly has me worried. But we'll see I guess.

(I'm also not a drummer so I'm not going to comment on Lars drumming capabilities, but I always kinda feel bad for the guy since everybody is hating on him all the time lol... whenever I hear Metallica songs I never think to myself "Man the drumming is so bad"... I certainly prefer it over a lot of metal drumming thats just a pissing contest over who can double-bass the fastest, but that's neither here nor there )

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lars use to be great. No doubt, those first 4 albums were solid with him. Nowadays, he's really slowed down, really cut back on his drumset to be very minimal. I don't think of him as an amazing drummer, but he made a mark for sure as being like a second frontman alongside James, when you see stuff from like Cunning Stunts or the older shows where him and James are doing like drum offs.
JTHomeslice  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the thing. Lars was a good drummer. Just check this shit. He's just gotten so much worse as time goes on. Especially when you compare him to someone like Dave Lombardo who's the same age and still fucking amazing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: