ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
On this Thanksgiving, I'm thankful for YOU, ScoreHero.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
directshot999  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: On this Thanksgiving, I'm thankful for YOU, ScoreHero. Reply with quote

You guys, along with good ol' Guitar Hero 2, helped me see the light .

I was 13 when I first got GH2 and I started on Easy and gradually played through the difficulties, working my way up to Expert. Honestly, the only reason I even played the game was because it was fun. I didn't know ANY of the songs or artists, and I actually hated a few songs on the setlist (Beast and the Harlot, Hangar 18, Carry Me Home in particular).

I also listened to rap music. The stuff that was popular back then... Lil Jon, Dem Franchize Boyz, Ying Yang Twins, you know. I didn't like rock music, and the closest I ever got to it was Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory/Meteora albums. Nothing on Guitar Hero even interested me musically except one bonus song named "Six", by All That Remains. This song, along with you guys here at ScoreHero, made a HUGE impact on my life over the last 5 years.

Finally, I joined SH. Many of y'all were also avid reeltarists, and it inspired me to pick up a guitar of my own. I first got a piece of crap Wal-Mart guitar and an actually good amp, and played what I could on that. To my dismay, I couldn't immediately rock out to All That Remains, but I had a lot of fun playing Smoke on the Water over and over again .

I never took lessons. Most of my guitar help came from you guys here, and no matter how newby my questions were, you were all happy to answer them and point me in the right directions from little things like "How do I string my guitar?" to other questions, like "Why aren't pinch harmonics working?"

So I graduated to another guitar. It was a $120 guitar from the local guitar place down here and it was advertised as a "starter" guitar. I took it home and immediately realized that my old guitar was holding me back; I was KILLING it on this thing. I started to really enjoy playing guitar and upgraded once more to an LTD (forgot the exact kind) with a Floyd Rose Special.

The LTD was a nightmare. It was so freaking metal and awesome as hell to play, but I was switching tunings so much that it drove me insane. I also broke about 300 strings trying to be Steve Vai, and although it did teach me valuable lessons on how to care for a bridge of that nature, I decided to part ways with it for a used guitar at the same store that caught my eye.

It was an Ibanez ART300. I've heard nothing but great things from the Ibanez name, especially when paired with metal music. It was a "Green Caiman" edition, with a ribbed body style and a beautiful green/black finish. It was definitely an eye catcher.

The ART300 came equipped with Active pickups, a first for me. They were the Ibanez Lo-Z pickups, which actually ran off of AA batteries. While the Lo-Zs sounded great, I eventually swapped them out for a pair of Seymour Duncan Blackouts and had a custom switch drilled in to engage the AHB-2 Bridge pickups' output boost, for even more distortion and energy.

Along with the switch, I also added a killswitch (yes, it was Buckethead influenced, thanks ScoreHero ) and went rocking away. This guitar was MINE, and I was damn proud of working hard at a local grocery store in my high school years to get the money for it.

I still have this guitar today and my skill has vastly improved. I knew no scales and could barely play Breaking Benjamin songs when I got it, and now I can solo in a major or minor scale in any key and kill songs that drove me insane before, like Sweet Child o' Mine and Fade to Black.

It's crazy. Without you guys, I wouldn't even have a guitar, and I wouldn't have such a musical background. I also play drums at my church in worship service, but when I'm not worshipping God, I'm blasting Whitechapel for the youth lol. I wouldn't have even jumped at that opportunity if I didn't already play guitar, or listen to the music that you all showed me down here.

Music has totally changed me. Even my image is different. I used to have crazy long hair, but since cut it extremely short when I graduated, and now I have gauges in my ears (4s, started about this time last year with 14s) that were entirely inspired from metal music.

I went from Dem Franchize Boyz to All That Remains, and from them to Trivium. From Trivium to Killswitch Engage. From Killswitch Engage to Parkway Drive (still my favorite band). From Parkway Drive to Whitechapel. From Whitechapel to Carnifex and Job For a Cowboy, all while still loving basically each and every subgenre metal has to offer.

So basically, long story short: Thank you, SH. You showed me what music REALLY is and it really turned me into a completely different person. Without the awesome community here and Guitar Hero, I'd probably be listening to whatever mainstream rap artist is big right now instead of playing Parkway Drive on Pandora stream. I wouldn't have an awesome hobby in guitar, and I wouldn't know anything of music theory or have any musical background whatsoever. You guys are awesome.

Side note: Didn't really know if this should've been in Music Discussion or General Chat, so sorry if I flipped the coin and called wrong here
Squirrel  

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an I love you page already started in the General Chat

At any rate, that's awesome that we have had such an effect on your life. I really enjoy this place too, and unfortunately my big posts of this subject is in that thread.

At any rate, I'm glad you enjoyed it here, and hopefully many more years to come
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: