ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Store display copies; slower tempo?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheShineNSB  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Store display copies; slower tempo? Reply with quote

I just got back from Fry's, and it felt like the songs were slightly slower than usual. The tempo felt a bit slow for all songs. I could easily get 275k+ on Cowboys From Hell-Hard, but at home I haven't gotten over 230k. I tried playing several times when I got home and it felt much different. Another contributing factor may have been the store guitar buttons being so worn in that I could effortlessly fret and slide over them (my personal guitar's not as broken in), but I think it was more than that, because even easy, chord-based songs like All of This and Unsung felt slow. I had to consciously slow down the beat in my head to match it.

I played much better at Fry's today than I ever have, and couldn't duplicate the results when I got home.

Is it just in my head, or has anyone else experienced this?
Atremains  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is "Fry's" ?
HsAxTakexIt (4:37:20 AM): XD
HsAxTakexIt (4:37:35 AM): too bad your elbow doesnt have a finger to push select
HsAxTakexIt (4:37:57 AM): the next evolution of man : the elbow finger
MaximusDM  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you're the one. And like how Neo understood the Matrix, maybe you are like in the zone or something. Or possibly enhancement drugs!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is intriguing though. Has anyone ever experienced this before? I have played at four separate consoles / games combinations and never noticed a difference.

It's interesting to me because of a new project I've started up.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: DiscGolferPro
Matt  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've felt like songs I was listening to seemd a little bit slower sometimes. Perhaps time is more perception then people think?
TheShineNSB  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fry's is an electronic store where you can accidentally spend $500 that you don't really have. It's the retail store for outpost.com.

I'm wondering if I was just in the proverbial zone, but the more I think about it, I think the store guitar helped a lot. It was easier to fret and strum than my guitar due to the wear and tear. Maybe I need to start abusing my guitar to get it to that point. Still, there seemed to be a much larger than usual gap between the chords in "Spanish Castle Magic" and "Get Ready 2 Rokk".

What was coolest of all, though, was having people stop by the display and watch me play. It's good to show off every now and then. Now I know how those DDR experts at the mall feel. Every now and then a person would join me for multiplayer, which was awesome. I'm used to doing MP with my girlfriend who, bless her heart, has no rhythm or coordination. She's gotten good enough to star power her way through medium songs, though.

On a side note, my name's Nathan and I live in Seattle.
discgolferpro  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still thinking about the possibility of this, and I'm not saying it didn't happen but I'm becoming convinced it might have been a "perceptual" thing rather than an electronic glitch.

I have heard of people reporting different glitches but those were mainly concerned with a scratched disc or gradual hardware failure that would freeze and/or desynchronize the audio.

I'm throwing this thought out though. Perhaps it was a change in the size of the TV you were watching? Personally I did see this effect (but only for a period of perhaps 30 seconds).

I played at a friend's place who broadcasts his game through a DLP. The image on the wall is probably 14 feet dia. and it was a little more difficult to play when I got started.

I hadn't thought about it until now... Although it is true that the notes travel the same relative distance at that large size, they do move a much longer distance in my field of vision. I don't recall if it was easier when I got back home (and I've only played here since then) but it makes sense (in my case anyway) that it was momentarily more difficult for me to play when I suddenly needed to adjust to that expanded FOV.

Might be an interesting experiment to set up! Bring out that old 18" and see if that's the holy grail of 100%. ;-)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: DiscGolferPro
TheShineNSB  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my 5-star on CFH-hard today. Took a couple tries and still felt a lot harder than it did at Fry's. I should run down there today and see how I do. I'm thinking another factor may have been playing in front of a crowd. I'm an exhibitionist by nature and I think having an audience might have given me a boost, of sorts.

I still need Breaking Wheel and Texas Flood for God status on hard. I'm inching up there on BW (finally broke 200k today), but I've been stuck at the 104-109k mark on TF for weeks. That song, overall, seems to be the hardest for keeping a streak going. I love to play it, though, so I'll get it eventually. I hope there's another "Sunday morning on the front porch blues" type song in GH2.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: